Bullet Weight for 338 Lapua

AWB

I have recently started shooting long range, and have acquired an RPA rifle in .338 Lapua as my long range gun.

I have shot factory loads to date, but have acquired all of the necessary equipment to handload. For long range, (900Yds and beyond) what would you feel was the best bullet weight for such a rifle? I think it comes to three weights namely 250grn, 275, or 300, with the SMK being popular over here.

I have been told that my rifle may not like the 300's in that there may not be sufficient freebore to seat the bullet out of the case, and still have sufficient charge.

Should this be the case, would a slower 300 still be likely to produce good results, as compared to a rapid 250 for instance? It seems that as trajetory is not such an issue with target shooting as with hunting, (with wind bucking being the main aim)would the weight of the 300 be likely to prevail? Forgive me if these seem ignorant questions, but I am rather green in the area of Long range.

Also, I intend to start Loading with Ramshot Magnum powder as it goes well in my 300 Mag. Any thoughts on this??

Thank you for your help

AWB

[ 07-01-2003: Message edited by: AWB ]

What twist is your 338 I think it will take a 10 twist to shoot the 300g bullet my 338 shoots RL 25 and H 1000.
Crow Mag

I would shoot them the 300g SMK is an excellent bullet for long range hunting and target shooting.
Crow Mag

There's only one choice for a 338 Lapua-
300 gr. MatchKing!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin.gif

AWB- You mentioned that your rifle is an RPA. Is it a Quadlock or a Quadlite action??? If so how do you like that action?

H-Bar

It is a quadlock on the .338, and I would have to say its superb. I am very pleased with the rifle generally, which is very well built. The action is very solid and smooth, and the trigger is the best I have used. I rate these rifles very highly.

I dont think however that they will be readily available until the Autumn. I have shot it this evening with standard Ammo at 1,000yds, and dropped only 3 points, so I cant complain!!

regards

AWB

i have a sako trg42. the old ones have a 1/10 twist. mine has a 1/12 and sako said this is the best for 300gr. dont know anything about your rifle...just adding what i know works.

That's interesting SAKO would say that considering there are some that question a 1-10 being fast enough. There are quite a few that believe you need a 1 and 9.something for the 300's but I believe the general concensus is 1-10 is the best for 300's.

B-23 is correct 1-10 is about the cut off point for the 300gr,most guys go for a 1-9.25 or.5.The 1-12 twist is less than ideal for 300gr bullets, the Sako Trg's are set up for factory lapua 250gr loads.

300smk hunting and 300 scenar for paper. As far sufficient freebore to seat the bullet out of the case, and still have sufficient charge...I am not familar with this type of rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.