bullet to lands, max distance?

tstarky

Hi,
I have an older Remington 700 BDL, 30-06. Bought it used. It, shoots 2" or less groups at 100yrds. I want better accuracy for long range hunting, 600-800 yards.

I'm in the process of measuring the chamber for reloading. I diassembled a Remington core Loct 180gr factory round and slid the bullet just into the case end, chambered the round and gentle ejected. I was surprised to discover a 0.170" distance between the rifling lands and the seating grove on the bullet.

I repeated the measurement test with Hornaday measuring equipment, Berger and Sierra bullets. The bullets barly slid into the case, about .050". Not enough to create a safe reload.

Has anyone seen such a gap between bullet and rifling lands? What should I do?

Hi,
I have an older Remington 700 BDL, 30-06. Bought it used. It, shoots 2" or less groups at 100yrds. I want better accuracy for long range hunting, 600-800 yards.

I'm in the process of measuring the chamber for reloading. I diassembled a Remington core Loct 180gr factory round and slid the bullet just into the case end, chambered the round and gentle ejected. I was surprised to discover a 0.170" distance between the rifling lands and the seating grove on the bullet.

I repeated the measurement test with Hornaday measuring equipment, Berger and Sierra bullets. The bullets barly slid into the case, about .050". Not enough to create a safe reload.

Has anyone seen such a gap between bullet and rifling lands? What should I do?

My Rem 22-250. My reloads are seated more than .125 further out that factory and can go even more...but wont feed from the magazine if I go more

Thanks Feenix. The largest gap reported there was .040 none addressed a 4 times+ larger gap of .170. Has anyone measured their Remington 700? What distance have you found? I'm wondering if this is factory or worn or miscut by a gunsmith.

The best you can do is to seat the bullet deep enough in the neck so it don't move during recoil in the mag box. Work up a load and ignore the jump. Heck Weatherby used to have a .375" jump and they shot just fine.

If it really bothers you, have the barrel setback and rechambered. Even better, get a new barrel and have it chambered to suit you.

I just got through loading a friend's sporter 300 WSM. Due to short magazine OAL is 2.850. Jump to rifling is .140", it shoots just fine.

Thanks everyone.
Having heard that there are rifles out there that shoot fine with a large jump to lands helps build my confidence in this rifles possibility to hold smaller groups by creating custom rounds.

I spoke to Bruno's here in Phoenix AZ and he suggested that if I wanted a new custom barrel it would cost $900 because he would not place a new barrel without truing the action first. Sage advice. I was not ready to spend $900 on this 30-06 rifle today. I will do this on another more match favorable caliber rifle.

Sounds like he doesn't want to do the job. I am certain if you shop around you could get a barrel installed for far less. IMO you don't have to blueprint the action to have reasonable accuracy. Heck I have several sporters that have Rem take off barrels installed with no other work done and they shoot 1/2 MOA or better.

In the meantime be sure your barrel is clean, bedding is sound, action screws tight, crown in good shape then go ahead and make a load for your rifle.

I have four liljas and a bartlein. All the rest are factory. All the rest are rechambered rem factory takeoffs.

I have used Harry Lawson Co in Tucson Az for over 20 yrs. Now I do my own barrel installations including chambering.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.