Bullet suggestions for elk

I have been taking my elk each season since 1994 with the Barnes 6.5 120 X & now rhe TSX. This past season took my elk with the Hammer 6.5 121gr. One shot complete pass thru both front shoulders, DRT. A hunting friend uses a 308 with the Barnes 130gr TSX for his elk . Never a problem. The 30cal 150gr Barnes TSX will most likely shoot thru two elk side by side. These bullets penetrate as if they were significantly heavier. They tend to retain 95 to 100% of their weight which means considerably more momentum is retained which translates to far deeper penetration than C&C or partitioned bullets. Far less meat destruction also. When using the mono's a complete different understanding of bullet behavior is required..

The accubonds have always worked well for me. My buddy has gotten great results from TTSX's as well.

Why not just use the bullet that every other bullet is compared to when it comes to terminal performance: the Nosler Partition. I personally use the 200gr. in my -06 backup rifle but the 180 would probably work almost as well. Partitions simply work... on any game animal you choose to shoot at, no matter what range you shoot at. It's the only bullet I hunt big game with and it's never failed me.

Admittedly there are some rifles that won't shoot them very well. Personally, I've had 2 and sold both. If you run into that situation there are some alternatives (assuming you don't want to sell your rifle). The Swift or one of the Hammer bullets will likely get the job done just as well. Not better, but maybe as well.
Cheers,
crkckr

when I read the original post, I didn't even think I would have to say anything thinking that everyone would just say the same thing and go with the obvious, Nosler Partition. Ha. I had to get to the 20th post to find it. Too funny.
im a Berger guy, but for his stated distance there's nothing better than the partition but now I have learned... guess that's just my opinion 😁

While nothing sexy about a Nosler Partition it's about perfect in 180grs for an 30-06. Drive it at 2800fps and go hunting.

For the 30-06 I'd stick with a 180 gr . I believe the heavier bullets due better in a little more case capacity. But With that being said I'd load some up and see how they do for your gun . It's worth a try for sure. Accubonds or partitions is where I'd look first.
I've never shot any solid copper bullets but I'm sure someone will probably say Barnes at some point. The hammer bullets would probably be a good choice also if you can get them to shoot. I think what intrigues me with solid copper bullets is you can go to the light side on bullet weight and after impact probably outweigh what's left of a normal bullet. With a good bit more speed
Great info, I to shoot 180 in my 30-06 and it works for Deer and Elk

The funny thing is that most bullets will work most of the time. This is especially true at the ranges where most elk are taken.

That said, I tend to be very selective about my bullets. I wan one that will work reliably from a few feet to as far as Id be willing to take a shot under perfect conditions (600 yards, the limit of my practice). That means reliable but controlled and limited expansion, with good weight retention.

For me that means cup-and-core bullets are OK for my hand and lever guns. And for slow, heavy bullets from my bolts, like the 225g SST @ 2707fps from my 22" barreled .338WM. Other than that I prefer more solidly constructed bullets - bonded, mono, partitioned and hybrid designs. I did take a doe antelope several years back with a 95g SST from a .243 Win because I hadn't had time to work up any other load for that rifle and that load was super accurate. First time I'd used a cup-and-core to take game with a bolt rifle since my first back in the mid 1980's a spike bull elk where a cup-and-core lost over 50% of its weight after hitting a single rib.

While most bullets will work most of the time, I haven't has a premium bullets fail me in the 39 years I've been using them. That includes 20+ years with the Speer Grand Slam exclusively, Barnes MRX/TTSX/LRX, Nosler AB/ABLR, Swift Scirocco II/A-Frame and North Fork SS/SS-HP/FP.

(Back)ordered some Federal Premium 155g Terminal Ascent bullets for my 7mm RM yesterday and plan to have a load ready to go for elk season this fall. This is very similar to the North Fork SS and SS-HP I've used for years but with a tip, fewer grooves and higher B.C. (.586)

I'm a fan of the Barnes 168 TTSX handloads out of my 300 Win. They shoot .5-.75 and do the job on elk and moose. They would work well in your '06 at the ranges you mention. I don't worry about bullet cost as it minimal compared to the total cost of a hunt.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a bullet for that range and velocity that isn't $0.70/bullet and has good weight retention and ballistics?

Hmmm I might have what you need. 180gr Nosler Solid Base overruns. I bought them specifically for elk and 400 yards and under in a 30-06 22" barrel. I've been agonizing what to do with them. I bought them when I lived in Bend as per "Mike" at Nosler. I live in an area where 600 yards might be the closest shot I get on elk so I've been agonizing what to do with them. PM me if interested.

20200311_174750_HDR(1).jpg

These are four bullets recovered from elk.

The first two are 210gr Partitions from a 338wm. The third is a 180gr Grand Slam from a 300wm back when they were partitioned. The fourth is a 120gr Speer Boattail from a 25-06.

All the elk died. For real world functionality it's really hard to beat a Nosler Partition. They do exactly what the marketing pictures say they do when it counts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.