Bullet suggestions for elk

My Nosler manual #7 only list RL 19 and 22 nothing about RL16 for 180 gr bullets. But that only means they didn't test it at the time this manual was published. W760 and Hunter powders are good. I've had good success with the Winchester 760 powder. My savage 110 and 116 both shot pretty good with it and the H4350.
Go to alliants web page and click on the powder you are looking for data, they give loads for some bullets that will get you an idea to start. I have had good luck with rl 22, started working with rl 23. You may need to crimp your load because top loads will be highly compressed.

Shot placement is #1 Velocity is #2 bullet hype and marketing is totally secondary.

Wouldn't that make bullet hype and marketing tertiary? Yes shot placement and velocity are the top factors, but I don't want to use a bullet that might explode upon hitting the animal with shots under a hundred yards leaving a bunch of shrapnel in the meat and or having a very shallow wound.

I've heard of this happening with bullets like the eld-x, Sierra, and Berger. But, I do assume that some of those people's experiences may have been due to using higher velocity cartridges where they would be impacting the animal at 3000 + FPS. I'm just getting started with hand loading though, so I could be completely wrong on that assumption.

Sorather than oversimplifying it and going with any bullet, I am primarily asking about bullets that are on the cheaper side, are very solid so that they won't explode at short range, but will still expand well for my firearm setup out to 400 yards.

I'm well aware to avoid some the hype and some of the internet information within the long range shooting industry! For example, the big debate on breaking in barrels and cleaning copper from barrels. Let's not start discussing that here though!

Wouldn't that make bullet hype and marketing tertiary? Yes shot placement and velocity are the top factors, but I don't want to use a bullet that might explode upon hitting the animal with shots under a hundred yards leaving a bunch of shrapnel in the meat and or having a very shallow wound.

I've heard of this happening with bullets like the eld-x, Sierra, and Berger. But, I do assume that some of those people's experiences may have been due to using higher velocity cartridges where they would be impacting the animal at 3000 + FPS. I'm just getting started with hand loading though, so I could be completely wrong on that assumption.

Sorather than oversimplifying it and going with any bullet, I am primarily asking about bullets that are on the cheaper side, are very solid so that they won't explode at short range, but will still expand well for my firearm setup out to 400 yards.

I'm well aware to avoid some the hype and some of the internet information within the long range shooting industry! For example, the big debate on breaking in barrels and cleaning copper from barrels. Let's not start discussing that here though!

Too much velocity can be as bad as too little. Read up on the bullets you are interested in. Find out the max and minimum impact fps and intended game and see if it fits within the parameters of your needs.
IIRC pertaining to Noslers the Partition is the gold standard for hunting rounds and hasn't changed much since it's inception, the Accubond has the same terminal ballistics (not design) as the Partition but with better BC, but they both still need about 1800+ FPS at impact for "proper" expansion. Yes they will expand at a lower velocity but not to maximum design specs. The Accubond Long Range (LR) is very similar in terminal ballistics but will work down to 1300 FPS for longer shots. Again I am going by memory so I may have a bit of the facts wrong but you can see there are different bullets for different applications.

Darrell

Last edited:

I've shot animals with all kinds of bullets. As a rule thumb I typically will target heart lungs with the RDF, ELDm, Bergers and other non bonded bullet target style bullet. The bonded style bullets can be used on a high shoulder shot and will maintain weight going through bone. The bonded bullets typically don't shoot as well as the match bullets. IMO most (not all) poor bullet performances were shot placement related. Some of these poor bullet performances where also shot out of really large cartridges with extremely high muzzle velocity. The highest velocity rifles I own is a 6.5 PRC. I haven't shot a big game animal with a "hunting" bullet since 2013. Elk, Sheep, Deer, Coyotes, Badger, Bear and Antelope have all died with a well placed match bullet out to 978 yards. I think we make things way more difficult than we need to. The bottom line is we need the bullet to travel through vital organs at reasonable velocity in order to change shape and direction.

Too much velocity can be as bad as too little. Read up on the bullets you are interested in. Find out the max and minimum impact fps and intended game and see if it fits within the parameters of your needs.
IIRC pertaining to Noslers the Partition is the gold standard for hunting rounds and hasn't changed much since it's inception, the Accubond has the same terminal ballistics (not design) as the Partition but with better BC, but they both still need about 1800 FPS at impact for "proper" expansion. Yes they will expand at a lower velocity but not to maximum design specs. The Accubond Long Range (LR) is very similar in terminal ballistics but will work down to 1300 FPS for longer shots. Again I am going by memory so I may have a bit of the facts wrong but you can see there are different bullets for different applications.

Darrell

Exactly ABLR will expand at 1500 but that's too slow to get great secondary wound channel

I myself with that cartridge and the distances you specified would go for a 180 grain projectile. Either a 180 grain Accubond by Nosler or a 175 grain LRX by Barnes. Nice thing about 30-06 is that most bullets are designed around its performance so you actually have quite a few choices.

Ryan,
Yes, the Swift A frame is the bullet I was thinking of. It's essentially a Partition, when you strip away all the hype. I've never even shot one but the idea is certainly sound! Just from what I've read here I would also have high confidence in the Hammer Hunter bullets. I like the idea of a bullet that holds together and makes a hole (big holes preferred!) on both sides of whatever critter I shoot. I do not like bullets that frag an animal since it's my belief that it's simply too easy for a critter to run off with a massive flesh wound after the shot (I've seen it happen, so it's not just an opinion I made up). I also want to be able to break big bones on the way thru! I am one who is much more concerned with a wounded animal getting away than I am about wasting some of the meat. DRT is just fine with me!
Cheers,
crkckr

Son shot a bull at 380 yards. Impact velocity of around 2100 fps. 140 berger vld. Broke shoulder and found under hide on opposite side. Bull staggered 30 yards and laid down. He shot it again for insurance but it died quickly. The 140 Berger has killed a lot of critters for us. Pics of bullet that broke shoulder attached.

Daughter used a 155 scenar from 18" barreled 06 to kill her bull at same range. Any of the various 180 grain 30 cal bullets should do great.

Son shot a bull at 380 yards. Impact velocity of around 2100 fps. 140 berger vld. Broke shoulder and found under hide on opposite side. Bull staggered 30 yards and laid down. He shot it again for insurance but it died quickly. The 140 Berger has killed a lot of critters for us. Pics of bullet that broke shoulder attached.

Daughter used a 155 scenar from 18" barreled 06 to kill her bull at same range. Any of the various 180 grain 30 cal bullets should do great.

I was wondering if you were going to chime in. Great example right there.

I was wondering if you were going to chime in. Great example right there.
That mimics what I have seen over the last 4-5 seasons with

That is what I have seen over the last 4-5 seasons using RDFs and ELDs.

Good ol' 30-06 with a good 165 - 180 gr bullet just plain works.

My standard load for the 30-06 is a 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over a max charge of H4350 for over 2900 fps and good accuracy.

Had one heck of a season in 2016, and used that combo for:

cow elk @ 338 yards, one shot
black bear @ 325 yards, one shot
mule deer @ 140 yards, one shot drop, but needed a finisher when I got to the buck
antelope @ 245 yards, one shot

I've used the same load before and after. It's just a dandy. The 165 Ballistic Tip worked great on the cow elk (through one shoulder blade, destroyed the lungs, hit and broke the other shoulder blade, but never recovered the bullet). But... I think I'd prefer a 165 Partition, or a heavier partition for a dedicated elk load.
1UX5KGil.jpg

I went with 200 gr Partitions over H4350 for 2600 fps for my grizzly hunt. That was a real nice shooting load! Accurate and the recoil was just a nice soft push. I liked it so much that I considered doing all my hunting with that load - but I have a small mountain of 165's on hand, so I'll likely save the 200's for heavier game. Oh, the 200 not only did well on the grizzly, but also opened up nicely on a wolf at about 200 - 250 yards.

Years ago I used the 180 gr Nosler Partition - and it too worked well, before I dropped down to the 165's.

Shooters Pro Shop is a great source for Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, Ballistic Tips & more.

I'd recommend developing a load you like, stock up on those components, practice a lot with it before your elk hunt. Being in good shape, and being able to accurately place your shot, quickly, are both way more important than which particular bullet & powder charge you select.

Regards, Guy

Another vote for the Hammer Hunter. I load the 166 in mine and a buddy's 30-06, a .300 WSM, and a .300 WinMag. We've take deer and elk with them with great performance and they are the easiest bullet I've ever found to find an accurate load for.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts