Bullet suggestions for elk

Yes... I definitely go by the book! As I said though, I've just been focused on bowhunting for a bit and haven't done a whole lot of reading through my loading manual lately.

I get all the the suggestions for the accubond, partition, and bullets that are similar. Solid copper barnes was also on my wish list. But as I stated in my original long paragraph, I hope to find a bullet that has good weight retention that doesn't cost 0.70/bullet. I'm hoping to find something that is more like 0.50/bullet or less. I know sierra and speer makes some that are on the cheaper side, but I've read a lot of internet experiences and have seen the pictures of animals killed with those bullets. They seem to be much more frangible and cause more meat damage than I want. Perhaps those experiences are from people pushing those bullets at 3000+fps?

Is there a bonded bullet similar in weight retention to the partition or accubond that is cheaper?
Shooters Pro Shop is where I go for Nosler bullets. They're afactory outlet for their overrun, and Blems. The blems are really cheap. But they sell out fast.

The prices of those blemished bullets is unreal!!! I've not looked at them before. I'll definitely be going with the blems.

Second question....
One person mentioned trying out RL16. It's supposed to be similar burn rate to h4350 but faster and is recommended for .30 06 by alliant. Has anyone compared the two powders for .30 06 in a 22-23" barrel for these bullet weights? I just ran out of h4350 so now is the time to try it out!

The prices of those blemished bullets is unreal!!! I've not looked at them before. I'll definitely be going with the blems.

Second question....
One person mentioned trying out RL16. It's supposed to be similar burn rate to h4350 but faster and is recommended for .30 06 by alliant. Has anyone compared the two powders for .30 06 in a 22-23" barrel for these bullet weights? I just ran out of h4350 so now is the time to try it out!
My Nosler manual #7 only list RL 19 and 22 nothing about RL16 for 180 gr bullets. But that only means they didn't test it at the time this manual was published. W760 and Hunter powders are good. I've had good success with the Winchester 760 powder. My savage 110 and 116 both shot pretty good with it and the H4350.

I want to start working on loads for elk for 2020. I've only started handloading this year and have only been shooting Sierra pro Hunter 150g and h4350 powder to get the hang of it. I picked h4350 because it was suggested in Lee's manual as a powder for a wide range of bullet weights.

I'm thinking I want to go with a 180-200g bullet for elk. I have no intention of shooting farther than 400yd. So, if I end up with a 200g bullet, I'll limit my range to whatever will get me an absolute minimum of 1500ft/lbs.

So here's what I'm shooting... .30-06 t3x superlite, which I believe has a 22.5" barrel. I would like to continue using h4350 powder, but I'll go with whatever will get me the best accuracy for the chosen bullet. I will load to the fastest speed I can get without going above recommended charges for a particular powder. So looking at Lee's manual, I might have a muzzle velocity anywhere from 2400fps to 2700fps for a 180-200g bullet.

My question is, if I'm thinking I'm mostly going to be shooting elk from 150-350yd, what bullet will perform the best at those ranges for the gun and cartridge that I'm using? Does anyone have any recommendations on a bullet for that range and velocity that isn't $0.70/bullet and has good weight retention and ballistics?
The Swift Scirocco is a great bonded bullet. I've used the 7mm 150 on elk from an STW before. They worked great. The 308 Cal come in 165 and 180. The BC on this bullet is pretty good. Assuming the following atmosphere,
6000ft, 50deg, and 2850-165, 2700-180 you'd have +2000fps and +1700 ftlbs at 450 yards.

Plus Midway has them all on sale for $0.58 per bullet.

Second question....
RL16 is extremely temp stable

I use RL16 with my 166gr HH for a speed of 2900 from a 21" barrel, use RL22 with the 178 eldx and hit 2840, also shoot 150 ttsx with 4895 at 2915--have not tried 4350 though-- these are the accuracy node speeds for my rifle, I can push them faster but loose accuracy --I might try RL26 next

If you wanna save some money workup your load with a 180 Ballistic Tip, Sierra PH, or Hornady SP. Once you've got a great shooting load at the speed you want replace the bullet with a 180 Accubond or Partition. Chances are it'll shoot well if you keep all the rest the same and you're only into it for a box of Partitions or Accubonds. Use the less expensive bullets for practice.

also, Shooters Pro Shop has great deals on bullets and you can buy 2nd or blems for about what you'd pay for Hornady.

Heck yeah!!! I love this gun. I had to dremel a little bit of the stock on one side of the barrel and a bit of the stiffening partitions in the foreend under the barrel and after that it was lights out. I can regularly shoot it 3/4 moa, sometimes 1/2moa, and I'm sure a better shot than I could do better than that.

What powder do you use with that bullet? Any idea what muzzle velocity you get?

I'm the same 3/4" to 1/2" pretty regularly but often under 1/2". Best is .29" @ 100yds, not impressive for this group of guys but I'll take it..
I use 180 Nosler Accubonds with 58.5 gr of Superformance @ 2750fps. This barrel is fast for a shorty.I have had them faster than 2825 but it wasn't as accurate.
Love this powder, good velocity with mild recoil but just noticed it isn't temperature stable so no back tot he drawing board.
I bought some H4831SC then decided to change bullets and the 4831 is supposedly to slow for 165"s.
I haven't done a thing too mine but verify it was fully floated. It's one of my favorites.

Darrell

Last edited:
I would try 180 Nosler and 180 Barnes X. The reason is my gun hates Nosler bullets but loves Barnes and my son's gun is just the opposite.

Second question....
I use a ton of RE 16 and 23 IMO 16 may be too fast 180 + class bullets

Why not just use the bullet that every other bullet is compared to when it comes to terminal performance: the Nosler Partition. I personally use the 200gr. in my -06 backup rifle but the 180 would probably work almost as well. Partitions simply work... on any game animal you choose to shoot at, no matter what range you shoot at. It's the only bullet I hunt big game with and it's never failed me.

Admittedly there are some rifles that won't shoot them very well. Personally, I've had 2 and sold both. If you run into that situation there are some alternatives (assuming you don't want to sell your rifle). The Swift or one of the Hammer bullets will likely get the job done just as well. Not better, but maybe as well.
Cheers,
crkckr

168gr Barnes TTSX for elk. That is what I am working on a load for in my dads 300 weatherby mag.

Preliminary testing has them under MOA at 500 yards with just the test loads. I have not even started to dial them in.

My buddies 3006 likes 168gr Berger HVLD over RL22.

Why not just use the bullet that every other bullet is compared to when it comes to terminal performance: the Nosler Partition. I personally use the 200gr. in my -06 backup rifle but the 180 would probably work almost as well. Partitions simply work... on any game animal you choose to shoot at, no matter what range you shoot at. It's the only bullet I hunt big game with and it's never failed me.

Admittedly there are some rifles that won't shoot them very well. Personally, I've had 2 and sold both. If you run into that situation there are some alternatives (assuming you don't want to sell your rifle). The Swift or one of the Hammer bullets will likely get the job done just as well. Not better, but maybe as well.
Cheers,
crkckr
Swift scirrocco or A-frame?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.