BULLET STUCK IN BBL in the field

I have seen references on this forum to getting a bullet stuck in the bbl when the bullet has been seated out to far into or touching the lands. I have never had this happen to me even though for many years I carried my BDL REM 22-250 in the field while searching for brave groundhogs that lived along railroad tracks out in the country. I always seated my silver tips touching the lands and never thought about getting a bullet dislodged and stuck. Maybe just lucky.The point of my post is to mention a technique that was brought to my attention a while back and get opinions on whether or not it works and would be a safe procedure. If no rod to dislodge a stuck bullet while hunting, remove a bullet from one of your spare rounds and trickle a small amount of powder into the chamber of the opened rifle. Now SPILL OUT THE REMAINING POWDER FROM THE CASING ONTO THE GROUND. Insert the EMPTY, live-primered ,CASING back into the chamber if it will fit. CLOSE the bolt and fire the rifle< This should dislodge the bullet to clear the end of the barrel. DOES THIS WORK?? Could save a hunt!.....BUD

Have a stainless steel cleaning rod for such situations.
Tap it lightly multiple times - not hard.
And use a graphite rod for cleaning - not steel.

It happened to a cousin 10-12yrs ago. What saved the day was the antenna mast off a late 80s-early 90s Toyota pickup. Screw is off, insert from muzzle and let inertia work its magic.

MULEY STALKER, Now that is good quick thinking using the vehicle antenna as a rod! As long as the vehicle isn't endless miles from the place the round got jammed. But everything can't always be perfect.THAnkS for the suggestion.....BUD
Missing a day or two of hunting certainly is a better deal than missing all of them for the rest of your life because you don't have eyes & fingers.

MULEY STALKER, Now that is good quick thinking using the vehicle antenna as a rod! As long as the vehicle isn't endless miles from the place the round got jammed. But everything can't always be perfect.THAnkS for the suggestion.....BUD
It saved a 2 week out of state mule deer hunt for him. I did have a spare rifle he could have used but there is nothing like using what you are used to>

It saved a 2 week out of state mule deer hunt for him. I did have a spare rifle he could have used but there is nothing like using what you are used to>
The antenna idea was a good one. I was trying to make the point for the guys wanting to shoot out their stuck bullet. Any time spent fixing it safe & right beats a potentially unsafe one.

Ive seen fouled cases primer only went off, lodge the bullet 1/3 up in the barrel. I would re-chamber the shell full powder and drop the hammer as others have stated. Get one stuck 1/3 or half way is hell getting out even with a rod.
Don't even do that. It will act just like a barrel obstruction and either bulge the barrel or blow the barrel. Its a great way to get killed or maimed. It may be a pain to remove the bullet, but you can always walk away afterward, whereas having a bolt blown back into your face or parts of your barrel lodge in you will ruin your whole day.

I have seen references on this forum to getting a bullet stuck in the bbl when the bullet has been seated out to far into or touching the lands. I have never had this happen to me even though for many years I carried my BDL REM 22-250 in the field while searching for brave groundhogs that lived along railroad tracks out in the country. I always seated my silver tips touching the lands and never thought about getting a bullet dislodged and stuck. Maybe just lucky.The point of my post is to mention a technique that was brought to my attention a while back and get opinions on whether or not it works and would be a safe procedure. If no rod to dislodge a stuck bullet while hunting, remove a bullet from one of your spare rounds and trickle a small amount of powder into the chamber of the opened rifle. Now SPILL OUT THE REMAINING POWDER FROM THE CASING ONTO THE GROUND. Insert the EMPTY, live-primered ,CASING back into the chamber if it will fit. CLOSE the bolt and fire the rifle< This should dislodge the bullet to clear the end of the barrel. DOES THIS WORK?? Could save a hunt!.....BUD
WOW...! that sounds like bad medicine.... no thanks

Sounds like an "Old Wives Tale". Fact of the matter, you can't shoot a stuck bullet out of the barrel.
Well, you can, if you're suicidal. When a bullet is stuck partway up the barrel and you try to shoot it out, you put the maximum pressure on the thinner parts of the barrel, resulting in barrel failure. It will either bulge (if you're lucky), blow out, blow in half or peel back like a banana peel. The cartridge may rupture and blow back through the bolt. That means you get gasses and fragments of brass and possibly steel in the face. It can shatter the stock, which isn't going to be good for your off hand. Hickman's Rifles in Colorado Springs has numerous examples of blown barrels and ruined actions from stuck bullets. Just dislodge it with a rod or take it to a competent gunsmith and get it removed. Its better to miss part of a hunt than to miss an eye or be called stumpy or four finger.

I always pack a rod that that screws together in my pack, it's in four pieces. It can be used for an emergency Clean if necessary. I always seat the bullets 10 thou of the lands... Hence no problems.

It happened to a cousin 10-12yrs ago. What saved the day was the antenna mast off a late 80s-early 90s Toyota pickup. Screw is off, insert from muzzle and let inertia work its magic.

Lol! I was going to the last page to type a similar experience and saw yours. I got a bullet stuck in my 300wm. Used the antenna from my 2010 tundra to tap it out. Worked perfect! Had a little round tip on it so I didn't have to worry about scratches.

When I went to unchamber the round the bullet stuck in chamber and some of powder fell into the action and the rest went out with the brass. I just opened the magazine and dumped it all out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.