Bullet stability

There are no degree programs in Ballistics. A ballistician is someone who works in the field of ballistics. External Ballistics is studied in physics, aeronautical engineering, and mechanical engineering. Internal Ballistics is more in the realm of Chemist and Chemical Engineers. Bryan Litz is an aeronautical engineer. Jeff Siewert who was on Hornady's Podcast recently has a degree in physics if I remember correctly. Not sure about Don Miller.
This!

This is always fun whenever it pops up, this time I choose to sit back, enjoy a few Shiner Bock beers, and watch the fireworks, never fails.
Yep! There are no SBs where I am, but the other SBs (of a different kind) are biting. 🤣

BTW, I know that you exceeded the minimum requirement, as noted in #30, #39, and #40, and yet humble enough to just chill and enjoy the entertainment. 😇

See you soon.

Last edited:
Degrees for ballistics depends on whether you want a study on internal, external, or terminal ballistics. For the study of bullets in flight you'd want to study external ballistics. In that area someone with an aerospace engineering degree would be a start. I'd still consider someone with a mechanical engineering degree fine for the bullet arena. If looking for someone with the esoteric knowledge of bullet flight then Bryan Litz would be my choice for knowledge in external ballistics. He's pretty much looked at as the leading expert in the subject. Terminal ballistics would be the study of wounds or bullet impact.
Is your plumber analogy applicable?

I feel stupid even asking this but, did I understand you to say that downrange at a point where the bullet rotation decreases sufficiently that the heavier base wants to pass the lighter front. Would a bullet shaped like a somewhat pointed teardrop do any good instead of fighting the reversal down range? That is firing the larger heavier end first. That seems crazy.

Not Bryan Litz here; would decreasing the mass in the base/rear area of the bullet not work instead of 'teardropping' it?
For me I would think that if you drilled out some of the back of the bullet it would stay stable longer at the cost of trajectory. That is unless you took a 230 grain .30 and drilled it out enough to equal the weight of a 175 grain then yes it would out perform a standard 175. jm2c...

For me I would think that if you drilled out some of the back of the bullet it would stay stable longer at the cost of trajectory. That is unless you took a 230 grain .30 and drilled it out enough to equal the weight of a 175 grain then yes it would out perform a standard 175. jm2c...

Like these Cavity Back Bullets?

Last edited:
I have the 168 MKZ loaded on my .30 Gibbs.

1685319949279.png

when I suggested "tear dropping the rear" I was thinking of reducing the turbulence that develops at the base of a bullet no matter how small the rear flat area is. Please understand that I'm just carrying out pre-stated info and taking to the extreme. It does seem to me that the longer tail would help stabilize it going through the trans-sonic zone and help keep it more stable when it's sub-sonic although it would probably make it more susceptible to steering from cross winds. Again guessing.

when I suggested "tear dropping the rear" I was thinking of reducing the turbulence that develops at the base of a bullet no matter how small the rear flat area is. Please understand that I'm just carrying out pre-stated info and taking to the extreme. It does seem to me that the longer tail would help stabilize it going through the trans-sonic zone and help keep it more stable when it's sub-sonic although it would probably make it more susceptible to steering from cross winds. Again guessing.
You are close to officially becoming a bullet geek! It is a sickness with no cure. You can treat symptoms by purchasing a CNC lathe and announcing to your wife that she will no longer be able to park in the garage. Then quit your job/business to pursue a cure for the disease and inform your wife that there is no money for anything that she is interested in. Then work 14 hr plus days for the next 8 years and try to explain the importance of working all these hrs instead of coming home to spend time with your wife.

Just thought you should know where you are headed. 😁

I'm retired, don't have a garage but do have a big nice shed I built about 25 years ago. I don't know how to run a lathe. I did study engineering back in the 70's but old timers took care of that. I could rough out a "napkin" sketch. The only thing is that I'd want to try some. How about it, any takers. I've been married over45 years because I've never tried to tell her that there wasn't ANY money for her to spend. I have to sleep sometime!

I'm retired, don't have a garage but do have a big nice shed I built about 25 years ago. I don't know how to run a lathe. I did study engineering back in the 70's but old timers took care of that. I could rough out a "napkin" sketch. The only thing is that I'd want to try some. How about it, any takers. I've been married over45 years because I've never tried to tell her that there wasn't ANY money for her to spend. I have to sleep sometime!
We didn't know how to run the lathe either. We were drawing on napkins or whatever was handy.

Recent Posts