Bullet Sorting Question

Moman

How are most of you sorting bullets for your handloads? I am weighing 180 gr accubonds and only keeping the 179.9 to 180.1. And with 270 cal 150 gr Patitions, I am trying to only keep the 149.9 to 150.1 but will end up losing half of the box if I stick to this. Is this too picky?

How are most of you sorting bullets for your handloads? I am weighing 180 gr accubonds and only keeping the 179.9 to 180.1. And with 270 cal 150 gr Patitions, I am trying to only keep the 149.9 to 150.1 but will end up losing half of the box if I stick to this. Is this too picky?
i became involved in loading for rifles in 1951 when my father got a pacific super press, pacific dies, a redding balance scale, and a belding & mull powder measure. i still use the scale, and the powder measure. my son still uses the press.
i load for hunting, and we only hunt long range.
i only use match grade bullets, but they can vary also. that said, ive never weighed a bullet for my hunting loads.
seems today loading has become so sofisticated, we can constantly be questioning what we do. certainly others will question what we do.
your obviously a hunter, else you wouldnt be using those bullets.

how much accuracy is required to do what you do? are you satisfied with your results? these are the important issues to my mind at least.
tempting as it is, i wont allow myself to get caught up in what some have come to think is necessary for success. what works, works for me. and that dosent include weighing bullets.
frankly, i even question the necessity of weighing each powder charge. ever notice how much difference in point of impact a half grain makes while testing loads? none.
a little experiment on slight differences in bullet weight and powder charges might answer your question.
how far can you go, before you begin seeing a difference in point of impact that would affect the accuracy you need.

On the 180gr accubonds and 150gr partitions .2 grains is insignificant (in weight) compared to bearing surface length.
Measure your bullets more closely than you weigh them for long range performance.
UB

just because you sort them doesn't mean you need to get rid of any. Just sort them by weight and keep each weight together throughout the process.

+1 from what I've read from the people who truly care about accuracy and tiny little groups - benchresters - length of bearing surface is more important to accuracy then weight (in the small inrements that we are talking about). Then again, if you can sort by both bearing surface and then weight within those bearing surface groups, you would provide the greatest possibility of shooting consistent groups. Sadly, you'd never get out to the garage to do any hunting.....

All that being said, I sorted my Berger 180 gr 7mm bullets for F-Class by weight for one set of bullets, and then by length of base to ogive for a different set of bullets. The base to ogive groups seemed to give slightly better results at 1K.

JeffVN

+1 from what I've read from the people who truly care about accuracy and tiny little groups - benchresters - length of bearing surface is more important to accuracy then weight (in the small inrements that we are talking about). Then again, if you can sort by both bearing surface and then weight within those bearing surface groups, you would provide the greatest possibility of shooting consistent groups. Sadly, you'd never get out to the garage to do any hunting.....

All that being said, I sorted my Berger 180 gr 7mm bullets for F-Class by weight for one set of bullets, and then by length of base to ogive for a different set of bullets. The base to ogive groups seemed to give slightly better results at 1K.

JeffVN

Pretty good put there--don't worry about weight just bearing surface.

my understanding of a heavier bullet is the BC would be a tad higher but it starts out a tad slower.so it's a wash at any range.we're obviously talking about some very small numbers here. i'm with the others, don't worry about weight.

I bought a box of Hornaday 139gr Interbonds.The weights varied from 138.5 to 139.5.I thought about dividing them into groups of the heavy ones and the light ones but there was so much variation I said to heck with it,I just loaded them up and they shot great

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.