Bullet selections

185gr Berger Classic Hunter. Give them a go, they shoot well in 264 for me. I have some of these 185 to try in a 300 win mag soon.
I would use a cup and core lead bullet out of the state of California, but for hunting here, we have to use lead free. I recently took a hog at 100 yards with a 110 GMX bullet using a brain shot. DRT. It however showed pressure signs with a minimum load. It overpasses my AR. I've yet to try it in my Ruger American bolt gun. The 175 grain load is super accurate out to the 500 yards that I've tested it. Solid hits every shot once sighted in.

I have a lot of experience with the ELD-M in 168gr out of a 308. I have killed several deer and large wild hogs with them and have always been very half with the terminal performance and accuracy. I have taken animals from inside 25 yards out to 450
And have had zero issues. You won't be disappointed.

What barrel twist are you using?

Lots of great options for factory and reloading.

My personal choice would be SST or BT in 168gr

Great question to ask.

I believe that twist and rifling play a big roll in why some people have both good and bad experiences with the same bullet.

I don't like any more twist than I need to stabilize a bullet for what I'm intending to do with it. So I don't like to "over stabilize" I've found that most bullets accuracy node gets a little tighter when you spin them up really fast. Basically, they get more finicky in fast twist barrels.

Twist rate can drastically affect the terminal ballistics of the bullet. This is probably why so many people have different experiences with the same bullet.

There has been a recent trend to get the fastest twist barrel you can, and in many cases it makes sense to do this. However I'm seeing more and more of this lately, without understanding what it does to the bullet when in hits a critter.

It's not as simple as which bullet to use for which range? You have to consider how your rife shoots that bullet, and velocity isn't enough. I've been guilty of bashing bullets that other's love, but when you remove your opinion and look at the math, there will usually be reason someone loves a bullet that you'd never use. Some of it is probably just luck.

That said, for 20-500, I'd see how your rifle likes the accubond.

Great question to ask.

I believe that twist and rifling play a big roll in why some people have both good and bad experiences with the same bullet.

I don't like any more twist than I need to stabilize a bullet for what I'm intending to do with it. So I don't like to "over stabilize" I've found that most bullets accuracy node gets a little tighter when you spin them up really fast. Basically, they get more finicky in fast twist barrels.

Twist rate can drastically affect the terminal ballistics of the bullet. This is probably why so many people have different experiences with the same bullet.

There has been a recent trend to get the fastest twist barrel you can, and in many cases it makes sense to do this. However I'm seeing more and more of this lately, without understanding what it does to the bullet when in hits a critter.

It's not as simple as which bullet to use for which range? You have to consider how your rife shoots that bullet, and velocity isn't enough. I've been guilty of bashing bullets that other's love, but when you remove your opinion and look at the math, there will usually be reason someone loves a bullet that you'd never use. Some of it is probably just luck.

That said, for 20-500, I'd see how your rifle likes the accubond.

Truer words have never been written/expressed. I have recently seen tremendous mathematical disparity inherent in the claims of bullet mfrs related to rifling twist rate. There are no greater examples of this than the disparity in Sg coefficient results that are derived from two of the most respected online Stability calculators. Anyone who has questions can compare their selections of plastic tipped and non-tipped bullets Sg coefficient derived from JBM Ballistics' Miller/Courtney calculator to the results derived from Berger's Litz calculator.

Also take a look at DocUSMCRetired posts in this thread: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bullet-stability.190811/page-2

Last edited:
I personally am a big fan of the Sierra GameChanger. I have many successful whitetail kills with this bullet in a 270 as well as in my 300 win mag. I have not hunted with this bullet in my 308 but am sure it would be a good combination inside of 500 yds. I am working up a load now with a the GameChanger bullet for my 7mm-08. I will let you know how it works out.
Looking forward to your SGK GC 7mm08 load target and game performance.

Before Berger, Sierra used to be the the target bullet of choice. It was pricier than Hornady and Speer in both target and hunting bullets. Nosler was purely hunting bullets with the Partition. Those 4 manufacturers were it. A few specialty/limited production people in the background (Barnes, Bitteroot etc.)

Last edited:
Both my 308s are 1/10 twist for my savage model 11 police I chose the Sierra tip game kings and will be buying another to try as well also still looking for a good bullet in my ruger I cant get it to shoot better than a inch at 100 with 3 different bullets and 3 powders

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.