Bullet selections

I'm sure others know more about Berger bullets than me but I will share that I bought my first 308 about 20 years ago from GAP. Best loads with at that time the only Berger 175 VLD. About 10 years ago I went to buy more of the same item and it no longer existed. I contacted Berger and they told me they still made it, and gave me the new item number. It is now classified in their hunting line. So not sure how different from a construction standpoint the hunting bullets are from the target. With Varget at about 2700 fps loaded to magazine feed from AI mag this bullets shoots lights out, for sure better than me. But that gun does shoot a lot of bullets well.

My 308 AR10 just loves the Federal Premium 175 and 185 grain Bergers. Unfortunately, they're target bullets, so I don't think they'll work well for game. My job now is to try and emulate that load with a hunting bullet. I'm going to try the Barnes LRX in 175 grains next.

185gr Berger Classic Hunter. Give them a go, they shoot well in 264 for me. I have some of these 185 to try in a 300 win mag soon.

The Sierra Game King HPBT is a 165 gr bullet with a unique crimped meplat that delays expansion for deeper penetration for lack of a better way to describe it. In every conversation I've ever had with Sierra, bullets constructed this way are described by Sierra bulletsmiths as unnecessarily tough for whitetails, especially the 165 gr bullet at 500 yard .308 velocities. The 165 gr Game Changer that was suggested by someone previously is the toughest Sierra bullet design, as it has a thicker jacket and harder lead alloy than any of the other Sierra bullets. According to the bulletsmiths at Sierra, Gamechangers are designed for high BC and deep penetration on big game, overkill for most whitetails at low velocities as well.

Not exactly the same, but similar performance can be expected comparing .308 vs 7mm08. From my 7mm08 at ~2650 fps muzzle velocity, the crimped meplat 160 gr SGK HPBT at <10 yards put a baseball sized exit wound behind the shoulder of a 120# doe. I would not hesitate to hunt bear with this bullet, but I probably wouldn't do 500 yards. B.C. leaves a lot to be desired for long range.
From my 7mm08 at ~2600 fps muzzle velocity, 168 gr Berger Classic Hunters have given me golfball to baseball sized behind the shoulder exit wounds on six 150-200# whitetails at 50 to 110 yards. Massive blood trails were obtained on the couple that bounced ~25-35 yards. I wouldn't pick this bullet for bear, but 500 yard whitetail shots at those low velocities should work pretty good.
No experience with ELDs on game at all.

I have hunted with four different bullets in my 18" barreled 308 over the last years. I have used the 130 grain Hornady, 165 Hornady boat tail, 150 grain Hornady flat base and the 150 Remington Bronze Tip.

I use the 308 to hunt mule deer. The 130 grain worked fine at a kill at 400 yards but I was concerned about too much expansion at close range. The 165 grain boat tale was to volatile so I went to the 150 grain Hornady with IMR 4064 powder at 2750 fps. Many quick kills, good expansion, easy to shoot. If you practice shooting at different ranges, you do not need 3000+ fps for long range kills. The trick is to practice. I practice with the 150 grain Rem Bronze Tips.

I use a 7mm-08 Ack Imp with a 140 grain Noslers in my 20" barrel Remington Model 7 for Antelope. I use VihtaVuori 550 powder at 2900 fps.

I use a 8mm Rem Mag with a 220 grain Hornady bullet in my 26" barrel Remington 700 BDL to hunt Elk. I use Ireco 85 powder at 2900 fps. A bit over gunned but it drops Elk.

I use a 520 grain cast, then swaged lead bullet (1 part tin to 20 parts lead) paper-patched 45 2 1/10" (45-70) original Sharps Mecham conversion with a 30" barrel to hunt Bison. I use FF Black Powder at 1250 fps. One shot kill, expands well.

Berger classic hunters have been accurate in every 264 caliber I have shot them in. That is 4 rifles so far. I have not shot them in 30 cal though.

This is a 5 shot group from a Tikka CTR 260 Remington I shot last weekend with just a 5 shot warm up string. The cold bore shot is part of this group too.

They hunt too. My hunting buddy and I have killed 2 mule deer and 2 elk with them from our 6.5x55 rifles.
Why are so many reporting their favorites for other calibers? The OP asked about .308. Let's stick to the subject everyone.

I personally am a big fan of the Sierra GameChanger. I have many successful whitetail kills with this bullet in a 270 as well as in my 300 win mag. I have not hunted with this bullet in my 308 but am sure it would be a good combination inside of 500 yds. I am working up a load now with a the GameChanger bullet for my 7mm-08. I will let you know how it works out.

I personally would go with a 150 ballistic tip from a 308 for whitetail . They generally are easy to get to shoot good. At 308 velocities they will do just fine . I've never seen a ballistic tip not kill when the bullet goes where it is supposed to . We can all go on about how so and so bullet blew up and the target got away . But if it gets away how can we say the shot was good with out an autopsy.
Ive seen where accubonds are mentioned also and from what I have seen of them they do a good job also .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.