bullet selection

mw185

I'm new to muzzelloading and was suprised at the cost of the ml bullet/sabot combinations.Do many of you purchase them seperately-for example the 45cal 225gr hornady fte combined with harvester yellow sabot. I have no experience yet but would appreciate advice from those who do.

Every gun is different try some different loads with different bullets and different sabots. I have a 50 cal encore that likes hornedy 300 hp xp with 130 gn of triple seven

You didn't mention what brand of M/L rifle you shoot, but i highly recommend the .451 cal Gold dot/deep curl bullets in .250 or .300 gr. they are about the same cost of the xtp bullets with excellent controlled expansion and terminal performance. since i don't know what rifle your shooting, buying a pack of harvester crushed rib sabots and a pack of MMP-24 should cover you in most cases as far as a proper fitting sabot is concerned. www.midsouthshooters carried both the bullets and sabots.

Thanks for the replies. The question was more around combining one of the many offered .45cal bullets that are sold by the 100 and adding a sabot rather than buying the muzzeloader specific bullet/sabot combo's which appear to cost 2-3 times as much. I am looking at a CVA accura .50cal for a hunt in Nevada next year-no scopes. Since I have done no ml shooting before I wanted to do a fair amount and was looking at the cost.

Thanks for the replies. The question was more around combining one of the many offered .45cal bullets that are sold by the 100 and adding a sabot rather than buying the muzzeloader specific bullet/sabot combo's which appear to cost 2-3 times as much. I am looking at a CVA accura .50cal for a hunt in Nevada next year-no scopes. Since I have done no ml shooting before I wanted to do a fair amount and was looking at the cost.
the gold dot/ deep curls i mentioned are sold seperately 50 ct per box. would be a good idea to buy 1 pack of .451-.452 crushed rib sabot and 1 pack of .451-.452 mmp- 24 sabot. that should cover you on sabots,depending on your bore size... the gold dot deep curls are about $18.00 per 50 and the sabots about $5.50 per 50 ct.. another reasonably priced bullet is the harvester PT gold in .260 or 300 gr about $20.00 per 50 ct. same as with other mentioned bullet buy a pack of each sabots mentioned... hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.