Bullet selection

I would do a solid bullet like the Hammers or a bonded bullet like a swift. Your guide will not be into a "long range shot" on a griz BTW. Get close and put it down.
I wouldn't attempt a long range shot on a grizzly. With all the potential animals on the menu I don't want to limit myself to 400-500 yards on sheep and caribou.

I'm taking a hard look at the hammers, 200gr accubonds, Barnes TTSX and the 190ablr's.

I can always fall back on the partitions just have to limit my range.

my part of the country involves both species of bears ie. grizz and blackies heck even a polar bear 60 miles SE of us. The part of a mid-range load has me stumped, not sure what you mean-inexpensive factory fodder? Surely Federal 180 with Speer bullets would work, about 20 bucks. My godson who is 16 yrs. old is using them for moose and black bears.

I would opt for a better bullet personally, if you don't reload there is factory tailor made stuff out there in the 180 grain aplenty. Swift A Frames, Winchester Fail Safe etc.... that will hold up quite well whether he had to defend himself from protective sow albeit a grizz or a blackie or to harvest the common black.

I don't know if this has helped. I would make certain his length of pull is perfect for him at the least. Maybe change out the recoil pad to a Sims or a good Pach.

If your gun shoots the 200 partition into a half inch, then just stop. You have an EXCELLENT round that will do everything you need. I killed Dall sheep, caribou and grizzly in Alaska for years with a 300 Weatherby with the 200 gr Partition and never wanted more. The 200 partition works from 20-600 yards. You wouldn't believe the damage to a grizzly at 20 yards!

If your gun shoots the 200 partition into a half inch, then just stop. You have an EXCELLENT round that will do everything you need. I killed Dall sheep, caribou and grizzly in Alaska for years with a 300 Weatherby with the 200 gr Partition and never wanted more. The 200 partition works from 20-600 yards. You wouldn't believe the damage to a grizzly at 20 yards!
Thanks. I guess I'm just looking to squeak some more yardage out of my cartridge by using bullets with a higher bc. The 200gr accubonds seem to fit the bill nicely. I do most of my hunting with a partition and have never been let down. No doubt my tikka really likes the partitions at about 2800-2850fps. Very consistent. It's likely the bullet I'll be taking.

Thanks again

I understand trying to gain an edge. One of these days I'm going with the Hammers, but not in this particular gun. It just has too much history with the partitions.

Most guides wouldn't want you shooting at 700, especially not on a griz. Just to many things can go wrong. Sheep are usually fairly easy to get close to, especially if you spend the time to get above them.

Good luck!

If you would like to try a 180 grain grand slam it may be worth your time. My family and friends have all started shooting them. We have killed everything from whitetail to dad killed hippo in Zambia last year with them. We've killed sheep, moose, caribou, elk, and dad's went to Africa six different times with them. I will say I've tried many different bullets, and do shoot different bullets in specialty guns but when your going on multi species you need a bullet to cover all and a speer grand slam does that for all of us. If your shooting a 300wm with a 26" or longer barrel try MRP powder or rl 25. All of our guns have 27" barrel. Good luck on your upcoming trip!

If you would like to try a 180 grain grand slam it may be worth your time. My family and friends have all started shooting them. We have killed everything from whitetail to dad killed hippo in Zambia last year with them. We've killed sheep, moose, caribou, elk, and dad's went to Africa six different times with them. I will say I've tried many different bullets, and do shoot different bullets in specialty guns but when your going on multi species you need a bullet to cover all and a speer grand slam does that for all of us. If your shooting a 300wm with a 26" or longer barrel try MRP powder or rl 25. All of our guns have 27" barrel. Good luck on your upcoming trip!
Thanks. Exactly my situation. Multi species hunt, one gun, one bullet type. I'll check out Speer.

I can say everything I've shot with the hammer it's been amazing. But im weird and like the part of how Bullets work when hunting. That being said partitions are great. I have just moved over to hammers for most of my rounds.

i know this has been discussed I apologize. First sheep hunt in 6 months kinda starting to freak out a little .....caribou and grizzly definitely on the menu and a very highly likely possibility.....300wm what bullet? Gun shoots 180 and 200 Nosler partions (and 180 Sierra prohunters) into half inch groups. I haven't worked with accubonds much but I'm sure I could get them grouping. I'll be dialing for elevation so I'm not super concerned about a few inches of drop here and there. MV is around 2850 with 200 partitions.

If those are the "only" bullet options you will consider, then I'd go with the 180 Partition! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.