Bullet selection on 7mm.

Love or hate the 7mag,finding the right bullet for what you are hunting is the key for choice.Like bballard,I've tried a lot of bullets in the 7mag.Some are way too hard.Those give you problems with small wound channels and very little blood trails to follow.Too soft and things get really messy and performance is really poor when you hit a lot of bone.I am pleased with the Nosler bullets,they have been working really well for me.The other problem is availability.I think there is so much focus on 6.5 bullet production these days,it seems like the 7mm bullets have been among the hardest to find,so your choices may be limited unless your willing to wait.

What is the right twist for the heavier bullets? Isn't 1:9.5 the standard for the 7mm mag? Will this spin the heavier bullets?
The 175gr is the heaviest bullet I've tried in the 7mags and all of them shot them really well.

I have not had a chance to try the 168gr Bergers, but I did have excellent results in my factory Rem 700 26" ADL shooting the 180gr Berger VLDH with RL26. The 180gr berger worked well on a bull elk I was able to take last year.
I have never reloaded with the ELD-X but have tried Hornady's factory ammo with them and they did not want to shoot in my gun.

I have shot the 160 AB and 162 ELDX with AB's giving me better accuracy in my .280 AI. I am getting 168 VLD's in the next few days and will try them. I'm in process of loading 143 Hammer Hunters also being early in process. I'm comfortable with my 160 Accubonds but love trying other combos. The 143 Hammers definitely like a faster powder than the 160 plus bullets. Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks

For quick Humane Kill's using, a 7 MM Mag., our Family choices, would be,..
168 grain Berger HVLD's, 160 Nosler Ballistic Tips or, 154 Hornady InterBonds.
Regular AccuBonds and ELD-X's, DIDN'T,.. "impress" us with,.. our last 2 Bulls.
The "Softer" ABLR's, might be OK,.. IF, you can get, the fussy lil' Bastard's, to "shoot", in your Rifle !

Last edited:
The easy answer is the one you can get to shoot the best. Based on my experience my vote goes to the 168gr Berger VLD. They fly better than anything I've tried - and I've tried A LOT of different bullets with the exception of the Hammers. They aren't on your list but I'd suggest you consider them. If you are going to hunt with Bergers, there are two things you are going to need: First is a .284 meplat trimmer so you can make sure the tip is open and square. The second is a sharp knife because those bullets are absolutely WICKED on critters.

I was not happy with the 160gr Accubonds on lighter targets (mature deer). They are a tough bullet and just didn't open up at moderate impact velocities (2400-2800fps). Wound tracts were small, and offside damage was significant.

I agree, as an all arounder they are probably the best choice of the 3 options, but that bullet had me missing my 30cals.

It's not a 7mag, but my rifle thinks it is - I'm now running the 140gr Absolute Hammer at 3240fps and am exceedingly happy with the results near and far.

I was not happy with the 160gr Accubonds on lighter targets (mature deer). They are a tough bullet and just didn't open up at moderate impact velocities (2400-2800fps). Wound tracts were small, and offside damage was significant.

I agree, as an all arounder they are probably the best choice of the 3 options, but that bullet had me missing my 30cals.

It's not a 7mag, but my rifle thinks it is - I'm now running the 140gr Absolute Hammer at 3240fps and am exceedingly happy with the results near and far.
What is it chambered in and what powder are you running with that?