Bullet selection on 7mm.

I've gotten some penciling under 200y with the eldx and don't trust them any longer on much else besides hogs. When my stock is gone I'll replace with something more consistent performance wise. I was talking to some aoudad/axis guides and they had similar experiences. Everyone agrees over 200y they are predictably nasty on game, under 200y it just depends.

So based upon your list and not bringing any additional bullets into the conversation…168 Berger if you like a bullet that is explosive or Accubond if you prefer a tougher bullet.

Good luck!

Shot two bucks a week apart in Deep South Texas. Big bodies. 75 yards with a 162 eldx deer ran 150 yards through the cactus and briars. So switched to Berger 175's that next week shot one 90 yards with it dropped like a bolt of lightening hit it. 175's flat out kill at 3,000+ out of a 7mag. Elk too. You can shoot 180's out of it also to around 2,950. Very deadly also.

Since Berger bullets are designed to penetrate 3-4 inches and then explode,what does it do to the insides,I mean if the bullet enters the chest cavity and explodes,doesn't the shrapnel break through the diaphragm and stomach,intestines?A bullet like that sounds messy to me.I'd like to hear more about how extensive is the internal damage of this bullet.I've shot Bergers at paper and they grouped well,but I cannot make myself want to shoot game with them because I hate gutshot game and I prefer a bullet that holds together well enough to give me exits.

Since Berger bullets are designed to penetrate 3-4 inches and then explode,what does it do to the insides,I mean if the bullet enters the chest cavity and explodes,doesn't the shrapnel break through the diaphragm and stomach,intestines?A bullet like that sounds messy to me.I'd like to hear more about how extensive is the internal damage of this bullet.I've shot Bergers at paper and they grouped well,but I cannot make myself want to shoot game with them because I hate gutshot game and I prefer a bullet that holds together well enough to give me exits.

Put the bullet in its chest cavity and it's not gonna rupture intestinal organs. Make a bad shot sure it will just like any other bullet.

All the guys have given what they could, but, if we don't know what the intended use is, can't hardly give real world advice. So here goes my 2 cents..... If shooting long range targets or hunting, the Bergers and Acubonds are real good bullets. But in a hunting situation 300yds and in, That good ole Nosler Partition has NEVER FAILED to Bang Flop one for me in all the years(and many of um) I've been using them. Have Bang Flopped them at 400+ with even the little 100gr Partition in a 243(Deer) of course no Bears...lol... Good luck to ya and the 7RM is a fine round still have the Rem 700 I bought at 16, and still brush the dust off of it every once in a while just for the hell of it, even though I have some now that leave the old girl in the dust....

I only have one example of the internal damage caused by the Bergers as I am still fairly new to using them and have not had the opportunity to shoot more game with them.

Last year I was using the Berger 180gr Berger VLD Hunting bullet in my 7RM and was able to kill a nice sized bull elk. Impact velocities were around 2255fps with 2032ft/lb of energy. The shot was a frontal shot that entered low neck area and did exactly what Berger claims they do. It penetrated a few inches and then left a 4-6 inch internal wound that severed the trachea. Unfortunately, due to time constraints we did not open up the chest cavity to see what additional damage was done to the vital organs. However, we are fairly certain that the bullet penetrated into the abdominal cavity as we found small amount of bile while attempting to retrieve the tenderloins. Once again this was a frontal shot so the bullet penetrating into the abdominal cavity was not so much a factor of it's explosive nature but rather just the path that the remaining bullet took. I am pretty confident that had the bullet entered from the side we would not have seen penetration into the abdominal cavity. This however is only my one example and I hope to collect more data in the future.

Put the bullet in its chest cavity and it's not gonna rupture intestinal organs. Make a bad shot sure it will just like any other bullet.

Me experience with Berger is little, however, the two deer I have taken with them the bullet went in snugged behind the shoulder destroying lungs and giving exit holes both times. One a 7mm 168gr VLDH and the other a 7mm 168gr Hybrid Hunter. Both exit wounds were larger than 3 inches with a large blood pool in the ground. Did not need to track either one

Both deer had their stomach and intestines intact. Performance was similar to an SST bullet.

Recent Posts