Bullet selection help

2rjshort

Hey guys, I just built a 300 win mag on a Savage 116 action in hopes of making a long range rifle for hunting. My plan was to shoot the 215 Berger hybrids. Unfortunately I am limited with a 3.5" removable magazine and the loaded Bergers need 3.676 to reach the lands.
Does anyone have a suggestion? I can make 180 Sierra Game Changers reach the lands easily and still fit but would like to have as high a BC as possible.
I believe the 200gr Accubond would work. Does anyone have any experience with it or have any other suggestions? Thanks

Berger designed the 215's as a hybrid ogive specifically so they wouldn't be as sensitive to seating depth. I know it's a long distance, but try seating them to function through the mag and shoot some, see how they do. Keep in mind you will want to reduce the charge compared to many you see listed on line.

If those don't work, the 190 nosler ABLR, 178 hornady ELD-X, 180 Berger elite hunter, or 181 Hammer Hunter would all be some I would look at, depending on what you want to achieve. The Hammer will be long, but seating doesn't really seem to matter at all with them. Seat them to mag length.

Many people get stuck in this mentality that you must be within .020" of the lands, and it's simply not the case. I have jumped many bullets, even Berger VLD's, up to .200" with success.

I use the 200 gr Accubond in my 300 Win Mag hunting rifle. It works well.

Unless you're shooting animals WAY out there, the Accubond is fine ballistically.

Ok, I will try the 215s for sure. One concern I had with seating them to 3.49 or so was reduced powder capacity and velocity loss. Any of you guys ran them at this short of a COAL before?

I run a short boxed savage (3 of them in fact). You can actually load one round in the top, of the mag, as it will sit up high enough for the tip to clear the front of the box. It's the next round that drives it down to be constrained by the 3.5" box.

I run one in the pipe and one in the top of the mag when deer hunting. If I was really concerned about capacity, I'd load my accuracy bullets however long they like, then run a couple of mag length bullets under those for a real emergency shot.

Theoretically, if you need all the precision you can get, you're probably shooting at something far enough away to have time to single load.

Also, get a little practice single loading, and you'd be surprised how fast you can cycle them through if they're handy (on ground next to you when prone, or in a pouch on the side of the gun).

I run a short boxed savage (3 of them in fact). You can actually load one round in the top, of the mag, as it will sit up high enough for the tip to clear the front of the box. It's the next round that drives it down to be constrained by the 3.5" box.

I run one in the pipe and one in the top of the mag when deer hunting. If I was really concerned about capacity, I'd load my accuracy bullets however long they like, then run a couple of mag length bullets under those for a real emergency shot.

Theoretically, if you need all the precision you can get, you're probably shooting at something far enough away to have time to single load.

Also, get a little practice single loading, and you'd be surprised how fast you can cycle them through if they're handy (on ground next to you when prone, or in a pouch on the side of the gun).
This is also a good consideration, if you can't get them to shoot good with a jump

I had really good luck with the 200gr. Accubonds in my win mag, groups hovered around 1/2MOA with H4831SC, H1000, and RL22. Personally I will not use RL22 anymore. I actually try to avoid Alliant because of the way their customer service treated me, I'd rather spend my money on a company that provides excellent customer service.

In my rifle, the 200's liked about 0.040" jump and max loads of all three powders. Best velocity came from RL22, but H1000 was within 30fps. Check the nosler manual and load a stout load of H1000, that's what I would do. That will be a wicked combo for elk across the canyon

That's good idea. It also got me thinking. I wonder if it would create any problems if I get a small channel or slot milled in the front of the magazine just deep and wide enough to allow a couple rounds?

I had really good luck with the 200gr. Accubonds in my win mag, groups hovered around 1/2MOA with H4831SC, H1000, and RL22. Personally I will not use RL22 anymore. I actually try to avoid Alliant because of the way their customer service treated me, I'd rather spend my money on a company that provides excellent customer service.

In my rifle, the 200's liked about 0.040" jump and max loads of all three powders. Best velocity came from RL22, but H1000 was within 30fps. Check the nosler manual and load a stout load of H1000, that's what I would do. That will be a wicked combo for elk across the canyon

Thanks for the Info. I'm definitely going to try some 200 accubonds as well. Seems to be a lot of guys having great luck with accuracy with them.

After looking at the magazine again. I don't think milling out the front will work due to the way it latches into the stock. The 1 in the mag option feeds well with the long Bergers though.

Berger designed the 215's as a hybrid ogive specifically so they wouldn't be as sensitive to seating depth. I know it's a long distance, but try seating them to function through the mag and shoot some, see how they do. Keep in mind you will want to reduce the charge compared to many you see listed on line.

If those don't work, the 190 nosler ABLR, 178 hornady ELD-X, 180 Berger elite hunter, or 181 Hammer Hunter would all be some I would look at, depending on what you want to achieve. The Hammer will be long, but seating doesn't really seem to matter at all with them. Seat them to mag length.

Many people get stuck in this mentality that you must be within .020" of the lands, and it's simply not the case. I have jumped many bullets, even Berger VLD's, up to .200" with success.
only .2"?? kidding aside, bullet jump often has nearly zero effect on actual group size. It is of use tuning the load but usually a band aid for poorly designed bullets or combinations that really do not get along. I really never bother with seating depth tuning and instead pick a couple suitable powders and do a coarse run-up to see where they land; if I like one well enough I might fine tune a bit or just leave be. I'm more worried about a load shooting well in all conditions (cold, hot, wet, dry) than how far my bullet sticks out.
I have jumped 140 grain Sierra Pro Hunter bullets .5" from a 7rum and had .2 to.3" 100 yard accuracy. That rifle was a beast; it was the most predictable rifle in the field I've ever had. My close 2nd in field predictability is my Browning 300win, which has limited seating depth adjustment so I just run the 165 gr Hornady fb in it. IRRC it is only a 20-30 thou jump.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.