Bullet selection for Aoudad?

OLI62

I'm Planning a Aoudad hunt for next year. My plan was to take either my 7mm Wby shooting 180 gr. VLD's or my 300 WM shooting 200 gr. ELD's. I've used both to good effect for Mt. goat and elk before. After reading and re-reading all the Aoudad threads it seems most are recommending bullets of stout construction.

I guess my question is should I give consideration to maybe switching over to something like Accubonds or perhaps the new Hammer Hunter's? You guy's that have hunted them - do you think I'd be alright with VLD's? Probably over thinking it (OCD is a terrible thing) but figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks

morning, I have a custom built 7mmwbee. german action,

28" #6 contour hart barrel, timmey trigger, H&S combat

tactical stock tan and black and Keracote sniper grey. I shoot the Barnes 145gr.

TTSX. this is a very well constructed bullet. I shoot deer, large hogs,

coyotes, anything I want to with this bullet!! u could shoot a heavier

bullet, not needed with the barnes TTSX or LRX bullets. with the construction

of these bullets, less weight of the bullet as advertised by barnes will

do a very good job!! THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

I have never used the Bergerac before so I can't speak on them. I feel eld would work well especially with that weight. But if you have any concerns the hammer will be a fail safe if you will. It will drive through same as a Barnes but I'm not a big fan of Barnes.

I'll be using a 7mm RM in the fall this year shooting a 160 grain TTSX. Aoudad is at the top of the class 2 Safari animal, and right at the bottom of the class 3 (see first two links). African animals tend not to die as fast as our New World big game animals.

If you are in SW TX and really steep country, you could risk having the animal fall (second video). At worse, the sheep gets itself in an unaccessible area of the cliff side, and you lose it. I've heard it recommended to hit them a hair high to break the shoulder for this reason. This is where you'd want a stout bullet. They aren't bullet proof, but they have a heavy bone structure. Aoudad aren't as light as a pronghorn or deer. The sheep falling isn't near as big of an issue if you are hunting a much flatter piece of property. But watch the first and third videos. That is the kind of country I'll be hunting in. I can't wait to get out there. :)

African Safari Cartridges: Class 2 Game
African Safari Cartridges: Class 3 Game

[ame]https://youtu.be/9JV0XZtHbSg[/ame]
[ame]https://youtu.be/oQr0TpUoKHc[/ame]
[ame]https://youtu.be/gIIeLgx0tVU[/ame]

180gr Accubond out of a 300wm has never let me down on a Barbary. My hunting partner uses TTSX out of a 7mm and gets the same results. Those are tough critters though. They can really take some punishment. Good luck to you!

Guy's thanks very much for the feedback. Playing around now with different load/bullet combo's. Hardest decision I have now is which rifle I'm going to hunt with.

Shot 2 Aoudads with 300WSM and 180 grain Accubonds..If hit high shoulder they drop no moving off.

I guided hunts for them for about 10 years and they can soak up lead. I've seen them run like they were not touched with 300 Weatherby and 270 Weatherby mags and I've seen some sledge hammered with 243!

Big rams are solid animals and I don't recommend any lite calibers be used on them. I'm getting ready for a big hunt in January were I will be able to take multi-pal Sheep and I don't want to spend a bunch of time chasing one that doesn't have his front end broken down. Just as the guys have said, bust a shoulder if you can.

I will be using a 300 Win Mag...uncertain on which bullets...I just got the gun finished last week.

Yep any will work. We shoot them all the time with 243s, 25-06s and 257 WBY...I have taken large rams with as small as a 25-06...I prefer my 6.5-284, or my 264 win with 140s (any flavor--I've been using Bergers) and or a 7mm of some ilk--most with a 7mag. Shot one with my 375 ultra once...didn't need that much...took the ewes and young rams with a 257 weatherby...

Attachments

• Aoudad pic.jpg
    Aoudad pic.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 331
  • Aoudad2.jpg
    Aoudad2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 302
Stick with what your bullets you are shooting they will work fine. I've shot them with 25-06 to 338s and they all work fine, bullets ranging from game kings to accubonds. Killed the most with 300 WM with 180 BTs. They are tougher than deer but one good well placed shot does the trick with any descent bullet

Last ram I shot was with a 6XC shooting VLD's 580 yards and they preformed great. With the bigger calibers you should have no issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.