Bullet Seat Depth Issues!!!

Deederswy

Hey everyone, I have a 270WSM and im loading 150 Gr. Sierra GameKings for hunting this season. Im shooting about MOA, i didnt have alot of time to really tune a new load. I was just out loading up some more rounds for my elk trip here pretty soon and i set my COAL at 2.791. Well while i was seating my bullets and checking them i was noticing my lengths were jumping some. My press is cinched down and my die is too but i was still getting COAL's from 2.786-2.792. Granted this is for hunting and not a competitve shoot but will the different seating depths make that big of a difference in where my bullet is going to fly? Would the difference be because the GK's tips arnt all the same, they are a bit different and almost misshaped? I just want to still have that confidence if i have to shoot 400+ while im out this year. Thank You!

I agree with Joe. Most bullets if they don't have a plastic tip but a metal nose (the meplat will give different readings due to uneven meplats. Use the ogive tool to set your depth of seating. once its set for the correct depth, Start loading!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.