Bullet scuff marks

newmexkid

While loading some 75 gr V-Max's for my 25.06 I noticed some scuff marks on one side of the bullet. I'm using a Forester Ultra Seater and a Redding Type S Bushing die. Any thoughts? I went back and checked some loaded 90 gr Sierra's and they have similar marks. Hadn't noticed before. Probably hadn't bothered looking. I have another seating die, guess I'll try that and see what I get. I have a feeling it has something to do with the die because the scuff marks are outside the case mouth.

Attachments

• 3 (Small).jpg
    3 (Small).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 97
Either its my eyes or something else. But I see a bulge in your neck. You might want to resize the whole neck or your bushing is to tight.

Maybe someone else has an explanation to it.

Is your bushing floating in the die. If its not that might be causing the bulge on the case.

Last edited:
The marks on the bullet look familiar. Check the seating stem in the Die, It looks like there may be a burr on the edge of the seating stem that is causing the marks. Take a little emery paper wrapped around a tooth pick and smooth the inside edge of the seating stem cavity. Make sure the bullet is aligned straight going into the die, So it doesn't get fowled going up in the die. Good Luck in finding the cause and cure.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.