Bullet Rumours

Ian M

Rumours that there are new bullet lines coming from a couple of the big manufacturers, not many details yet but the cores and jackets will probably be bonded. Lots of calibers.
Swift is working on the .243 Scirocco right now, then the .338.
Also look for electroplated bullets for rifle calibers down the road.

Ian

Those companies have to do someting to "TRY" and stay up with Sierra. Seems no one has done it yet, unless you count some of the custom manufacturers such as JLK, Berger and GTB, who only make a small supply of different bullet weights and calibers.

My money still goes on Sierra as the leader of "any" bullet manufacturer. Hard to beat their line of bullets in the hunting fields and competition matches, especially 1000 yds.
They always seem to stay one step ahead of their competition. Great people there to answer questions also.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 11-29-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl,
You have a good point - Sierra makes some of the best bullets period. I am always amazed that they can make so many gadjillions of match bullets with such uniformity - can you imagine how many 168 .30 cal. Matchkings they must pump out in a year!
Personally, I feel that their match bullets set the standard that others must strive to "match". I cannot say that about all of their hunting bullets - have had some that broke-up and shed cores on deer.
Funny thing, seems if a person has an example of bullet failure(s) then he tends to black-ball that brand from then to eternity. I haven't hunted with Gamekings ever since some blew apart, but thinking about it, that was about 15-18 years ago... I am willing to bet that Sierra fixed that particular bullet's tendency to shed cores but I haven't tried to find out - went to another maker.
One fact is that there are a lot of really good bullets on the market so it is easy to find a favorite performer.
Hope you are having a good hunting season, we don't have any snow and it doesn't seem like hunting season. Unseasonably warm but ugly winds every day makes for crappy hunting.

Like to throw the Hornady SST into the ring for great conventional hunting bullet. Been shooting them this year in three rifles, and they are 1/4MOA capable and fly very flat.

In my '06, comparing the 165gr BTSP and SST, at 1000yds the BTSP needs 44min. vs the SST at 28min. All load components are the same, in fact the SST uses 0.5gr less H4350. Muzzle vel is 2750fps...go figure.

Been using the Interlocks for years and they have performed very well for me. The SST are similarly built and worked great on my big mulie this year.

Enjoy...

Jerry

Now come-on Boyd... haven't you been laying awake at night wishing for a Nosler Bonded-Partition Ballistic-Tipped Tangent-Ogived 33 Degree Boat-Tail bullet with tungsten cores and self-deploying fins. How do you expect to keep up unless you got the goodies.

I have a .338 and a 6mm that have been pining for Sciroccos for two years. They delayed the 6mm for the .338, so i thought I'd still win, but they missed this years hunting season again. I tried shooting the 250 GK over the 180 and 200 noslers, and I doubt I'll finish shooting the remaining 45 or so 200's I have loaded - m aybe on coyotes. It's 250 GKs all the way baby. Tiny groups at nearly 2800 FPS thanks to a hot pet load from one of the Sierra techs.

I'll still try the 6's if they ever get them out....

I like the sound of that bullet you just described Ian, when will IT be out?
grin.gif

Seriously now, the world is waiting for 338 ect Sciroccos and other top designs comming foreward faster, the appetite is there.

I think I'll try some of Jerrys SST's out. Going to try some of Warrens 200gr pills too. Got a BC of .797 or something. Hell it sounds like Jerrys SST's might even out perform them though. Someone said over at AR that Warrens bullets went from 3/8" groups with the first five rounds to 7/8" group in the next five and 2.5 inches with the next three rds. with a gun that shoots under .5 all day with Sierras. Barrel fouled VERY fast he said, they were accurate though, until... We'll see.

Brent,
Look for new stuff in black boxes and in red boxes - don't know exactly what but that is who is working on large-scale bonding these days. Haven't heard any rumours from Daryll's favorite green box company.
Hope you and your family are well.
ian

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.