Bullet RPM

RustyRick

I see arm chair quarterbacks (ballisticians) on YouTube and forms with 2 radically different statements of bullet RPM. One prolific expert (define an expert - - a has been,like x-wife, spert - drip under pressure) stating bullet RPM as high as

200+ thousand,and another at 20+ thousand. So whose right?

There must be a simple math formula that takes a 10-1 ratio at 3000 ft. per sec that tells you the RPM.

I doubt either number is correct. At 200+ thousand I doubt the bullet would stay together.

I once had a 30" barreled 7 rem mag . It eventually caused both the hunting and target 180 VLD to unravel once the throat got rough: 2950 fps/303,328 RPMs.

A 140 accubond withstood the RPM abuse from this rifle:

1 in 7 twist rem mag 140 accubond @ 3410 = 350,742 rpm

---------------
In my notes on the 6mm-284 I kept a suggestion made by another poster:

max threshold Revolutions Per Second for any jacketed bullet might be 5000

I think that many people thing that the bullet is spinning like a buzz saw, but it is spinning according to barrel twist.....1:10 means one revolution per 10 inches, so if you know your range, then divide it by 10" and that's how many times the bullet rotates before it get there.

300,000 RPM's sounds impressive but remember that the bullet is usually flying only a fraction of a second

I think that many people thing that the bullet is spinning like a buzz saw, but it is spinning according to barrel twist.....1:10 means one revolution per 10 inches, so if you know your range, then divide it by 10" and that's how many times the bullet rotates before it get there.

300,000 RPM's sounds impressive but remember that the bullet is usually flying only a fraction of a second

Interesting...I had never looked at it that way myself...and I've been at this a long time.

At 300,000 RPM...a bullet would make 5,000 revolutions per second (roughly 800 yards), or 2,500 revolutions per 1/2 second (roughly 450 yards)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.