Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Nice grouping! I hope to see the same results from mine. Is your CDL bone stock, or have you bedded, pillared, floated....etc? I have RL15 on the radar. I'm trying to resist the temptation to take it to the range, but may have to take a few shots soon. This heat wave is placing my work with 300WM loads on hold.

I had some reservations with the 1:16 twist on Remington and Ruger factory 35 Whelen barrels, but seems like they are sufficiently quick enough to stabilize the 225gr bullets I intend to shoot. I'm feeling more confident thanks to your group above.

My rifle is bone stock. It seems like it shoots everything well. I have thought about pulling the stock and bedding it, but I am not messing with it, till it gives me a reason. I did have the trigger tuned up many years ago, but that is about it on that rifle.

That 1-16 will handle the 250 PT's as well. The CDL is set up nicely in the mag area as you can stretch them rounds out and get the RL15 in there. You can't hardly get enough RL15 in a 35 Whelen case to make it dangerously high. Not saying to try, but it seems like the perfect powder for me. It turns in the speed and accuracy. I hear of some people getting close to 2900 with the new 200 AB's as well.

My rifle is bone stock. It seems like it shoots everything well. I have thought about pulling the stock and bedding it, but I am not messing with it, till it gives me a reason. I did have the trigger tuned up many years ago, but that is about it on that rifle.

That 1-16 will handle the 250 PT's as well. The CDL is set up nicely in the mag area as you can stretch them rounds out and get the RL15 in there. You can't hardly get enough RL15 in a 35 Whelen case to make it dangerously high. Not saying to try, but it seems like the perfect powder for me. It turns in the speed and accuracy. I hear of some people getting close to 2900 with the new 200 AB's as well.

Thanks. I'm taking the same approach with my Rem 700 BDL in 300WM; don't fix it if it's already working. I bought some adjustable pillar columns from Brownells, but having a hard time imagining the need when it's pulling 1/2" groups. If accuracy goes south for some reason while developing the 200 AB loads, I may reconsider pillar bedding and floating the barrel.

Thanks. I'm taking the same approach with my Rem 700 BDL in 300WM; don't fix it if it's already working. I bought some adjustable pillar columns from Brownells, but having a hard time imagining the need when it's pulling 1/2" groups. If accuracy goes south for some reason while developing the 200 AB loads, I may reconsider pillar bedding and floating the barrel.

Same here Jake, if it shooting well, I don't mess with them. If they need bedding, I will usually go the whole way with pillars and everything. Bedding always seems to help, but I can't see messing with this Whelen and making it better than it is. It has never given me any reason to pull the stock. I know if I did it too much, I would be tempted to fix something that isn't broken.

I'm new to long range shooting and haven't had the opportunity to shoot over 250 yards. i have an encore pro hunter with a 28inch barrel in 300 win mag. i want to shoot a bullet at least 190 grains but i'm having trouble finding a selection of bullets that heavy. Any recommendations? i will be hunting large game with this rifle and i want to know what i'm getting myself into.

I'm new to long range shooting and haven't had the opportunity to shoot over 250 yards. i have an encore pro hunter with a 28inch barrel in 300 win mag. i want to shoot a bullet at least 190 grains but i'm having trouble finding a selection of bullets that heavy. Any recommendations? i will be hunting large game with this rifle and i want to know what i'm getting myself into.

I would look at the 200 AB and 200 PT. Then, on top of them, you have Swift's, Sierra GK's and a slew of others. With a 28" barrel on your Encore, I think you would really see some impressive speeds out of your 300. Good luck with your load work.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm also concerned about the moa capabilities of my encore. I don't know what to expect for effective range.

I couldn't see why your Encore couldn't be expected to be as accurate as any other rifle. They seem to be well made rifles. I think once you have developed a load that is under MOA consistently, then begin stretching the range out and you will see what the max range of the you/rifle will be. Let us know when you start loading, there is a ton of great shooters here who can assist in refining your load for the 300WM. Great cartridge. Usually pretty accurate as well.

The Berger 210gr Hunting VLD is worth trying too. They shot well for me. Bergers are comfortably priced between the standard bullets from Hornady, Speer and Sierra (low end) and Nosler and Barnes (higher end). You should be able to pick up a 100-pack for $43-$45 online.

beret
I have a CVA Apex that outshhots my mcwhorter rifle, it the barrel, if its a good one you will not be handicapped, that said it is not a long range rifle for the most part 600 /700 yards with a good 180 grain will kill em dead all day long, a barnes vortex 180 TTSX or federal premium 180 TBT will kill anything you can shoot at.

I'm completely new to reloading too so I will be asking around. My brother and a friend do it so I'm sure I'll get some time on a press soon. Im planningnon getting a leupold vx-3 4.5-14x50 scope. Do I really need that much magnifiation or is it just better to have it when you need it?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.