Bullet recommendation for 7mm-08 reduced loads

catamountsierra

My daughter is currently working her way through the online Hunter's Safety course. I found a Ruger American youth model in 7mm-08 and snagged it up in a hurry; I already have reloading supplies for it since my Remington 700 was a 7mm-08 until it got completely rebuilt as a 284 Win. I had good success with the 700, at least in terms of bullet performance, but never could get that barrel to group better than 1 1/4 MOA. I used the 140 AB for deer one year, which worked very well, and then moved to the 150 ABLR, which got me my first elk and another deer. I know both of those bullets should work out, but thinking about going for lighter recoil, lighter bullets are often what is recommended, but I still have a bunch of both 140 BTs and 150 ABLRs.

I've seen the 120 BT come highly recommended for the 7mm-08 in general, though by the sounds of it the 120 is a fairly tough bullet that works well driven fast. The same goes for the light monos as monos in general seem to perform better at high speed. I am not all that familiar with other, say 100 - 120 gr bullets as I started working with the 700 at 140 gr.

The other way to reduce recoil is by reducing velocity, and with H4895 it appears that velocities can be reduced fairly well. I also believe that was the trick that my dad used when he got my brothers and I started shooting larger rifles (in our case, 30-06 and 308). My experience has also been that recoil from heavier bullets results in more of a push whereas lighter bullets give more of a crack.

Given that the ABLR is supposed to be good at lower impact velocities, and most of the problems that I have heard of seem to be from too high an impact speed, I was wondering about using those for some reduced loads, aiming for say 2200 - 2400 fps at the muzzle. Impact velocity at 100 - 200 yards should still be well with the listed ratings, and energy should be good enough at that range too for deer.

I'm know I'm not the only person who has thought about reduced hunting loads for kids starting out. Does what I'm thinking of make sense? What have you guys done for your kids? Any other recommendations I haven't thought of? I seem to have a fair amount of time on my hands for some reason, but I am hoping that maybe I can take her out deer hunting this fall.

When my oldest turned 10 I got him a savage 7 mm08 started off with 120 gr sierras. Loaded at minimum load of whatever powder I believe imr 4064 and it seemed to work good for him. They absolutely hammered deer , shot good he called them his whammy shells. Lol! He's killed a pile of deer with that gun and 3 black bear . The furthest he's shot a deer was a 250 yard shot . All but maybe 3 have been bang flops. I'd recommend the Sierra bullets for sure with light loads.
Been running the 120 ballistic tips from my 7 mm08 but with a lot more steam and they shoot great and definitely kill whitetail .

Not a lot of experience with 7-08, but seems you'd be hard pressed to beat a 140 AB/BT. Downloaded to 2600 fps, and you're in mild 6.5 CM territory.

Ran some calculations...
140 BT at 2600 is ~2100 fps at 300 yds, 2400 fps is ~2100 @ 200 yds.
Recoil from 8.5 lb rifle is ~12.0 ftlbs @ 2600. ~11 ftlbs @ 2400

For comparison...
100 gr 243 Win @ 3000 fps is ~9.5 ftlbs recoil
130 gr 6.5 @ 2800 fps is ~12.5 ftlbs recoil
150 308 @ 2800 fps is ~15.0 ftlbs recoil.

Here's a link to a calculator. Play around and see what the "sweet spot" is. Charge weight has a surprisingly large effect, so make sure you're within a grain or two of expected load weight.

My daughter is currently working her way through the online Hunter's Safety course. I found a Ruger American youth model in 7mm-08 and snagged it up in a hurry; I already have reloading supplies for it since my Remington 700 was a 7mm-08 until it got completely rebuilt as a 284 Win. I had good success with the 700, at least in terms of bullet performance, but never could get that barrel to group better than 1 1/4 MOA. I used the 140 AB for deer one year, which worked very well, and then moved to the 150 ABLR, which got me my first elk and another deer. I know both of those bullets should work out, but thinking about going for lighter recoil, lighter bullets are often what is recommended, but I still have a bunch of both 140 BTs and 150 ABLRs.

I've seen the 120 BT come highly recommended for the 7mm-08 in general, though by the sounds of it the 120 is a fairly tough bullet that works well driven fast. The same goes for the light monos as monos in general seem to perform better at high speed. I am not all that familiar with other, say 100 - 120 gr bullets as I started working with the 700 at 140 gr.

The other way to reduce recoil is by reducing velocity, and with H4895 it appears that velocities can be reduced fairly well. I also believe that was the trick that my dad used when he got my brothers and I started shooting larger rifles (in our case, 30-06 and 308). My experience has also been that recoil from heavier bullets results in more of a push whereas lighter bullets give more of a crack.

Given that the ABLR is supposed to be good at lower impact velocities, and most of the problems that I have heard of seem to be from too high an impact speed, I was wondering about using those for some reduced loads, aiming for say 2200 - 2400 fps at the muzzle. Impact velocity at 100 - 200 yards should still be well with the listed ratings, and energy should be good enough at that range too for deer.

I'm know I'm not the only person who has thought about reduced hunting loads for kids starting out. Does what I'm thinking of make sense? What have you guys done for your kids? Any other recommendations I haven't thought of? I seem to have a fair amount of time on my hands for some reason, but I am hoping that maybe I can take her out deer hunting this fall.
hodgdon has a page on their web site for reduced loads using h 4895 I have put a few together for kids take a look at it I used the sierra 120 pro hunter they have done well so far

I just started this process with my wife (5'2, 105lbs) and kids (11 and 13 yr olds, but both extremely small and lightweight boys) with a 7mm-08 savage axis II.

I picked up a canister of h4895, with the sole purpose of getting them used to recoil, because it's the first centerfire they've ever shot. Here's the PDF from Hodgdon I used as a starting point https://www.ballisticstudies.com/site/ballisticstudies/files/Hodgdon H4895 reduced load data.pdf

I started them with speer 130gr btsp because that was the cheapest option I could find that fit with the 35.2gr suggested load with the h4895. I've been using cci200 primers and seating them .010 off the lands. With that combo, they're able to shoot 3/4" groups pretty regularly and it would be able to take a deer up to a couple hundred yards. I just recently got some sierra 120gr flat bases because they were out of speers. I just swapped out the bullet and got lucky I guess, because it will shoot that combo 3/4" or better as well.

I plan to have them work up to a load with a heavier and more penetrable bullet that is capable of taking an elk at some point. Or, I might just make up some secret loads for elk that they don't know about and use them for hunting.

I just started this process with my wife (5'2, 105lbs) and kids (11 and 13 yr olds, but both extremely small and lightweight boys) with a 7mm-08 savage axis II.

I picked up a canister of h4895, with the sole purpose of getting them used to recoil, because it's the first centerfire they've ever shot. Here's the PDF from Hodgdon I used as a starting point https://www.ballisticstudies.com/site/ballisticstudies/files/Hodgdon H4895 reduced load data.pdf

I started them with speer 130gr btsp because that was the cheapest option I could find that fit with the 35.2gr suggested load with the h4895. I've been using cci200 primers and seating them .010 off the lands. With that combo, they're able to shoot 3/4" groups pretty regularly and it would be able to take a deer up to a couple hundred yards. I just recently got some sierra 120gr flat bases because they were out of speers. I just swapped out the bullet and got lucky I guess, because it will shoot that combo 3/4" or better as well.

I plan to have them work up to a load with a heavier and more penetrable bullet that is capable of taking an elk at some point. Or, I might just make up some secret loads for elk that they don't know about and use them for hunting.

Ryan's idea is pretty good, you can also try the 120gr Ballistic Tip or the 120gr Sierra ProHunter he mentioned, the lighter the bullet the lighter the recoil.

Not a lot of experience with 7-08, but seems you'd be hard pressed to beat a 140 AB/BT. Downloaded to 2600 fps, and you're in mild 6.5 CM territory.

Ran some calculations...
140 BT at 2600 is ~2100 fps at 300 yds, 2400 fps is ~2100 @ 200 yds.
Recoil from 8.5 lb rifle is ~12.0 ftlbs @ 2600. ~11 ftlbs @ 2400

For comparison...
100 gr 243 Win @ 3000 fps is ~9.5 ftlbs recoil
130 gr 6.5 @ 2800 fps is ~12.5 ftlbs recoil
150 308 @ 2800 fps is ~15.0 ftlbs recoil.

Here's a link to a calculator. Play around and see what the "sweet spot" is. Charge weight has a surprisingly large effect, so make sure you're within a grain or two of expected load weight.

I started out with the 140 AB/BT combo with the Remington. I used the cheaper BT for practice and the AB for hunting; both were shooting to the same POI out to 400 yards. Great bullets, and I had them running at 2825. The AB turned the heart/lungs of a small deer to soup at 60 yards, and I would trust that bullet for elk out to 400. Thanks for the calculations; they certainly confirm that recoil will be in the ballpark I'm hoping for.

I had remembered my dad loading down for us as kids, and I thought it was with the IMR 4895. A quick Google search brought up the Hodgdon pdf, so I went looking and managed to pick up a pound of H4895.

I had heard over and over again that the 120BT was an excellent bullet, but I also kept hearing that it was effectively harder than the 140BT, which is why I was leaning a bit away from those, at least for starting them off. Those 120 Sierra Pro Hunters do look like a good option, and the price isn't bad either.

I had remembered my dad loading down for us as kids, and I thought it was with the IMR 4895. A quick Google search brought up the Hodgdon pdf, so I went looking and managed to pick up a pound of H4895.

I had heard over and over again that the 120BT was an excellent bullet, but I also kept hearing that it was effectively harder than the 140BT, which is why I was leaning a bit away from those, at least for starting them off. Those 120 Sierra Pro Hunters do look like a good option, and the price isn't bad either.

Now that I think about it, the 120gr Sierra Prohunter is a tougher bullet that at reduced loads is not the best hunting option, its tougher than the ballistic tip and is better for practice than actual hunting. This bullet is better at normal 7mm-08 speeds and at closer ranges to ensure proper expansion.

I use reduced recoil loads in my girlfriends 7-08 . I played on quickload and found a load that has the same recoil as a 100gr 243 . sounds like I'm copying the fella above . I use the 120 gr ballistic tip , 39.0 gr of H4895 ,cci200 primer , rem brass . I'm not sure if I chronied this load , or if I'm just using the quickload prediction , I have 2716 FPS on the recipe . the load shoots well in her browning X-bolt . she has taken a couple whitetails and it seemed to do ok . I'm not looking to make any changes for her .

I can't say for sure , but what I've read is nosler is using the same jacket on the 140 ballistic tip , and the 120 ballistic tip . years back the 120's were to explosive and this was the cure they came up with .

It looks like Hornady just introduced a 120gr FTX designed for lever guns. From my limited experience, bullets for 30-30 tend to be designed for lower velocities that their other 30 cal counterparts. Does anyone have any experience with that line of bullets?

H4895 and the 120 NBT and you're ready to rock. Keep an eye out on SPS and hit them for 500 or so at a time. As the youngster can take more recoil just pump up the speed a bit. Rock star combo for about anyone.

Good on you for taking enough of an interest to help her enjoy it. A great trigger and good ear protection and you're Golden!

It looks like Hornady just introduced a 120gr FTX designed for lever guns. From my limited experience, bullets for 30-30 tend to be designed for lower velocities that their other 30 cal counterparts. Does anyone have any experience with that line of bullets?
Shot the 225 gr out of my 44 ruger super red hawk. They shot decent never tried them on game though

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.