Bullet Pullers?

Autorotate19

I was reloading the other night and I loaded up fifteen rounds of 300 rum with 300 weatherby powder charges (wrong page in reloading manual) Can I use a bullet puller and fix the screwups and does it ruin the bullet, powder etc.... Also which one would you recommend? Thanks

I use the RCBS puller and feel it is the best.

If you adjust the tension so it is snug but not abusive, the collet does not damage the bullet.

Make sure you put powder in the correct container. Reuse.

I prefer the Collet Die Bullet Pullers over the inertia hammer type.

They also work but if you search the threads, someone had a primer go off not that long ago using the inertia type.

Resize your necks on the brass.....be sure you do not contact the primer with a depriming rod....

I use the Hornady collet type,works great and doesn't damage your bullet,i would stay away from the hammer type also.

Two other notes, depending on whether you used a standard seating die or competion die....Also, you will need a collet in addition or the puller die that corresponds to the bullets diameter.

The standard dies crimp the bullet a bit and you may see that indentation on the bullets upon removal......just wanted you to be aware as this will not have been the fault of your bullet puller.

Forster also makes a die bullet puller....

I like the RCBS for the lever collet tightening bar, not sure what the others have but if I remember correcly the Forster has a nut you tighten.....but that may be incorrect.

+1 on the collet puller.I would also recommend taking the decapping pin off your die and resize the cases again after you do it.I made the mistake of not doing this once and found that the recoil can drive the bullets deeper into the cases of the cartridges that are in the magazine of the rifle.

I use the inertia type. When you buy a new one the first thing you do is throw away the collet holder, and use your shell holder instead.....

What about resizing them and the lube. Wouldn't the lube be bad for the primers or do i not need to use lube.

Back your de-priming rod up into the die enough so it does not punch out your primer. Put just a very little bit of case lube on the neck of the case and run it back into your size die. You have already sized the base of the case so you should not have any trouble sticking a case there. No lube will come in contact with the prmer by doing this. It also depends on the type of lube you use as to if it will contaminate the primer even if you got some on the primer. I use Hornady One Shot spray lube and it will NOT contaminate powder or primer.

I bought the rcbs one and it works great super easy and fast and all were still in perfect condition. Thanks for the help.

I have a question about resizing the cases. Once I back the primer rod way up how far do I run the case up in the die? All the way? Thanks

I use the Forsters collet type puller. I've had it for years and it's probably one of the original of the collet types.

It has nut with a lever arm to tighten the collet.

It takes a knack to get it set so you don't actually grab the brass neck instead of the bullet. I've knicked more than one case thinking I was on the bullet.

The hornady cam lock is supposed to be the cat's meow.

I use the inertia type. When you buy a new one the first thing you do is throw away the collet holder, and use your shell holder instead.....

Did you learn that shell holder trick from me?:)

I prefer the collet pullers if I am pulling more than 1 or 2. The hornady collet pullers will not damage the bullet if you are careful.......do pull the decapping pin and resize.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.