Bullet Puller?

I used the Hornady several times but it always deformed the bullets (22 cal for prairie dogs so they didn't care 😮) so I switched to a inertia puller. No deformation. Guess I never thought of "loosening" the bullets first with a inertia puller.
Live and learn huh? That's why I like this site.

I have a Hornady and an RCBS. Hornady works great for everything except maybe 1 out of 5 .308 rounds. The RCBS has never failed me.
If you compare apples to oranges you will see that the RCBS collets are a lot more robust than the Hornady brand.
What this equates to is that with the RCBS collets you can achieve a lot more purchase than with the thinner Horandy collets. In real life, this equates to more usage from the RCBS collets without a deforming or breakage of the collet pedals themselves. than with the thinner collets used by others.
I have purchased the RCBS Collet Puller and assorted collets and never experienced any problems. On the other hand, I did have a kinetic bullet puller that shattered on me rendering it useless.
To that end, the RCBS has a home on my reloading bench. If I need it it will always perform and not let me down!

Last edited:
Blackhawk said:
"this equates to more usage from the RCBS collets without a deforming or breakage of the collet pedals themselves. tan with the thinner collets used by others."

Is this criticism based on experience, or just a presumption by you?

I've had no deformity or breakage of my Hornady collets.

I don't recon the guy has next to zero neck tension on those seated cartridges on the grip n pull video on the website :oops:

Not sure how it would go on any crimped seated cartridge or even where you can't regulate your neck tension like you can with bushing dies?

I like the idea of being multi calibre though.

If I didn't have an RCBS college then I would look at one for sure if they were even available here but as usual we are way behind & I just looked at Amazon & can't be delivered here :rolleyes:

Also different collets from different manufacturers are not transferable

I have the grip n pull and it works on 99% of the bullets I've had to pull. If one is over crimped or has a sealer on it, I just drop to the next smaller size and use glove so I can get a strong grip on it. I've only had one 22 caliber Bullet it just wouldn't pull and that was on a crimped and sealed military M855 round.
My only compliant with it is if you really need to bear down and squeeze hard it digs into your hand pretty good. Some cushioned grips with make it much more comfortable.

Blackhawk said:
"this equates to more usage from the RCBS collets without a deforming or breakage of the collet pedals themselves. tan with the thinner collets used by others."

Is this criticism based on experience, or just a presumption by you?

I've had no deformity or breakage of my Hornady collets.
Just look and compare then you will see for yourself!
Take the time to examine both brands before you go pointing fingers!
As for your great luck using Hornady collects and their puller I'm really happy for you.
The answer for me lies in my personal experiences using several brands of bullet pullers.
Being a retired tool & die maker with over 47 years of experience I have seen several collets that were used on toolmaker lathes sprung and rendered useless as they were no longer concentric.
After comparing brands of bullet pullers using collets based on what I've seen I decided on the RCBS brand, it has never let me down or deformed any bullets.
( I add that in all fairness you must adjust the tension correctly or you may deform your bullets )

Last edited:
Grip and pull works good !
I get youngest daughter to run the press then I can squeeze puller with two hands which I find is needed most of the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts