Bullet Puller?

demarpaint

First off hello, it has been several years since I posted here. I started shooting and reloading again and have been out of the loop for quite a while. Boy have prices gone up! Anyway, I have a Forster Collet Bullet Puller. I am trying to source a few collets for it and I am having difficulty. I'd like to have collets for .22 cal, 6 mm, 6.5 mm and 7 mm, 30 cal I have. I was thinking of scrapping the idea and buying a Grip-N-Pull puller, but the reviews weren't impressive. I have an intertia puller, but like the collet pullers. Any help is appreciated, go easy it's my first time posting in a long time.

Just one of those tools that you pay once and just don't look back. Much better than an inertia puller BUT on some loads I still use the inertia puller to "start" the bullet to move which make the collet puller much easier and no damage to sides of bullet. Sometimes just getting the bullet to "break" the neck tension helps a lot when

^ I hear ya. I may do a bit more reading up on the Grip-N-Pull. Maybe with the inertia puller I have [to get things started as you mentioned] it will fill the void from .308 down in calibers that I currently have.

I have the RCBS collet bullet puller , and it works well pulling bullets . the Hornady collet puller would work better for me . I use a T-7 turret top press . the "T" handle on the RCBS hits on the other dies . the Hornady with the flip handle would work much easier .

Thanks for the replies. Just out of curiosity will RCBS collets work with a Forster standard bullet puller? I might be able to get RCBS collets from a friend.

I also have the RCBS collet puller and it works great, doesn't damage bullets as long as I use an inertia puller to break the neck tension. Few seconds added in but bullets are expensive so why not use the best method to save them? I don't think the RCBS will work in Foster, they are much longer which is nice for pulling longer bullets. The stress is spread out on bullet. I keep an eye out for them at gun shows and have picked up a couple for $5 each which was nice surprise!

I've never seen a collet puller so I'm curious, does the collet clamp down on the tapered portion of the bullet? What's the ID of a collet used with say a .264 round?

.264 collet and it has to have bearing surface to grab, it will not grab off the bearing surface. If the round is close to SAAMI, you may have to start the bullet breaking the neck tension so you have more bearing surface to grab with the collet.

Ok. I had a bunch of .264 I need to pull, but never got around to acquiring a bullet puller, so after posting that question I went out to the shop and thre a 1/4" collet in the milling machine, grabbed a shell holder in the vise then went to town. Pulled 10 very quickly, it did leave a little imprint on the bullet, but it's forward of the ogive so I figured it would be ok, which I just got back in from shooting and they did just fine...with a 12-18 mph wind I had 1.5" left to right at 100yds but only .56 vertical so I think it worked. Certainly wouldn't want to use this method on bullets that count for something but at paper on a windy day it was just fine. Btw, I have not done any target shooting in the wind in about 20 yrs, I always wait till better conditions, so my 1.5" while not impressive by comparison with others around here, I'll take it.

I usually keep pulled bullets for ladder testing. I don't they affect that much at all plus I pull bullets in way that results in very minimal marking on bullet.

First off hello, it has been several years since I posted here. I started shooting and reloading again and have been out of the loop for quite a while. Boy have prices gone up! Anyway, I have a Forster Collet Bullet Puller. I am trying to source a few collets for it and I am having difficulty. I'd like to have collets for .22 cal, 6 mm, 6.5 mm and 7 mm, 30 cal I have. I was thinking of scrapping the idea and buying a Grip-N-Pull puller, but the reviews weren't impressive. I have an intertia puller, but like the collet pullers. Any help is appreciated, go easy it's my first time posting in a long time.
I haven't heard any bad reviews of it it works exactly as advertised but I have heard of a lot of people that do not like them that is their personal choice I happen to like mine it works perfectly and I can pull many more bullets than you can with any other type of puller in a short amount of time
E037B033-FF6E-499C-AA6F-9B615F014D72.jpeg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.