Bullet / Powder Suggestions for 300 SAUM

QuietHunter

I broke in the the barrel on my 300 SAUM this weekend and I believe it has the potential to get me out to 700 - 800 yards.

I loaded up an old box of 165 gr Game Kings with Varget and IMR-4350. They shot around an inch at 100 under less than ideal circumstances during break-in. Speeds were 2850 - 3050 depending on load with no signs of pressure.

Here are the details and here is what I am looking for.
Remington Model 700, 24" 1-10". Muzzlebrake, lapped, bedded, trued etc.

Looking for bullet suggestions for elk out to 700 yards and powder suggestions to push it.

Let me know if more information is needed. Thanks for the help.

My dad's getting 3270 ave. at max load (65-67k psi on the Oehler 43) with a 180 Ballistic Silvertip or the 178 A-Max in his 27" bbl'd 300wsm, both were the same psi and velocity. That was with 73gr of RL19.

OAL was 2.945" though.

The same load with 70gr RL19 was 3170 ave. at 57-58k psi with both bullets again.

We took it to 76gr RL19 with the 168 SMK at 3360 and psi was 63k, we never shot them anymore but I imagine they would have topped out at 3400... 3450 if you wanted to push em a bit, maybe to 67-68k psi.

RL19 was the only powder he's tried so far, no reason to switch either, it shoots beautifully.

You're Rem short mag may hold slightly less powder and OAL may be shorter, unless you single feed them, so start low and work up.
smile.gif
Yours is basically the same round, so I'd expect it might be 100 fps slower due to a shorter bbl and slightly less case capacity but, it's a smokin round though!

700yds should be a breeze! I like the 180's though. The 200 Accubond will be way cool too. I'm sure 3000-3100 will be easy, and with it's BC
cool.gif

Thanks for the response Brent,
I have a box of 178 A-Max's. I will get some RL-19 and start working some loads for those.

My max OAL is 2.820 without single feeding. I am not sure what case capacity is for RL-19, but if I get up into the 70 gr range I am fairly sure it will need to be compressed. Any known problems with compressing RL-19? I don't like to push the envelope unless somebody has been their first
shocked.gif

QH,

My printer is out of ink or I would print, scan, then email you all my data collected for it. That's the only way I can pass it on other than typing it all down. I'll do it the end of the week when I get a cartridge back in the printer though, it's interesting stuff.

The nice thing I noticed with this powder and the 180's was the stable and steady rise in pressure and MV, even up at the top, and that's usually the case anyhow but, it can get weird on you with some combinations or some powders especially.

I haven't looked at any loading data for the SAUM so, I don't know how the WSM compares in powder charges for the same bullet weights. That would be the best guideline when looking at this data here for the WSM, as you probably can figure too.

Is there a simple trend of a grain or two less powder accross the board for the SAUM than the WSM? I know there ain't much diff between them.

I can't remember if he was compressing the powder or not, I'll find out when he gets home bout 9:30 tonight... I think he was and it was pretty full, up in the neck I think. I just can't remember though.
rolleyes.gif

A slightly faster powder may benifit you better with the "somewhat" shorter bbl and compression if the OAL creates an isssue with that.

I have noticed pressures move up higher when seating bullets deeper, and almost NEVER when out farther, even on or into the lands. Just what I've observed with the psi equipment. I always seat mine up in the lands and back away slowly with the OAL watching the pressure come up slowly when working up a load. .050" - .100" seating depth has shown between 3k - 5k PSI change pretty much accross the board an any cartridge I've tested, and at a top end load that can mean maybe "too" much pressure.

50-100 fps pretty much falls in line with a 3-5k psi increase or decrease too, very, very close to it anyway.

You might try RL15 or a Hodgdon Extreme powder of comparable burn rate and compare to RL19, you might come out with less disturbance on the bullet from less muzzle psi on exit, maybe better MV in the 24 incher too, I'm just speculating.
wink.gif

The H. Extreme and RL powders have never proven to be temp sensitive in anything I've tested either, I love both of em.

Good luck!
smile.gif

Thanks for the information.
This gun is such a pleasure to shoot, load development will really be fun.
Anyone had any problems with the 178 A-Max and short range, high velocity hits? I may loan this to my brother on what could be a once in a lifetime elk hunt. I might work a Barnes XLC load too...

QH,
I hope I'm not the only one that responds here to your post.
frown.gif

I've killed only one animal with the 178 A-Max, it's only "one" experience but FWIW it was at about 100 yards in my 300 Ultra. MV was 3200 fps and it was on about a 5' black bear facing away from me on a hillside. I shot him between the shoulder blades through the spine and the bullet exited his throat with about an 1.5-2" exit hole. He rolled down the hill and never moved.

I already knew if I hit the spine he was a gonner for sure, taking out the jugular and exiting with a nice hole after penitrating about a foot of muscle and bone, well, that suprised me "some."

I'd stay away from a shoulder shot but, that's about all I'd worry about, IMHO.
smile.gif

QH...The only problem I have had with the 178 A-max is past 1,000 yards. Every time I shoot something inside 1,000 I have to debone something and go buy dry ice.
smile.gif

QH... I am a real fan of H4831sc and would compare that to RL-19. If you are not in a compressed load situation with H4831sc, I would look at H-1000 to compare to the others. I think that H-1000 would be outstanding for bullets in the 190 to 210 grain weight range.
wink.gif

I wanted to try RL-19, but the local store only had it in the huge container. I like to sample it first before I go big.

I loaded up some with the 4831SC. Here are the details and results:
Rem Model 700, 24" 1-10"
80 Degrees
Elevation 5700'

65 Gr H4831SC
178 Gr A-Max
Rem 9 1/2M Primer
COL 2.820
Velocity 2734-2745
.7 Group @ 100 Yards

66 Gr H4831SC
178Gr A-Max
Rem 9 1/2M Primer
COL 2.820
Velocity 2784-2796
.5 Group @ 100 Yards

67 Gr H4832SC (Compressed?)
178Gr A-Max
Rem 9 1/2M Primer
COL 2.820
Velocity 2808 - 2844
.6 Group @ 100 Yards

While the accuracy was great, I am looking for more velocity if possible. I believe I am pushing case capacity. Any suggestions for the next kind of powder to try?

QH,

Is it you that is sending me the 300 SAUM case? If so you didn't give your handle as Quiethunter, so I'm wasn't sure.

I have something I'd like to email you but your email address isn't available here, didn't want to send it to the wrong guy...
wink.gif