Bullet Measuring Question

Svashtar

Ok, something that's been driving me nuts since I first read it. I have the Hornady comparator body and bullet inserts and keep reading that if I want to measure bullet base to ogive or bullet bearing surface (the last not something I care about when sorting bullets) I need a second Hornady body and bullet comparator. Problem is the bullets I shoot are pointy only at one end. Does anyone know what they're talking about? I'm not using the Whidden bushings, just Hornady bullet inserts in the body. I don't know why measuring against the Hornady caliper anvil or even just the caliper blade isn't sufficient. Obviously I'm missing something, but keep seeing pics of Hornady bodies with inserts on each caliper blade. (?). Thanks.

P.S. I know about the Sinclair bullet sorting stand, but have been looking at the new Accuracy One hand held unit which is $20 more or so but super fast. Just wanted to try this "two comparator bodies" thing I keep seeing mentioned first, but think I'm over analyzing options.

I think it's when you use a caliper when needed to hold in place? But unsure. I have their PMS for measuring base to give. Are you saying the tip protrudes beyond the adapter?

You only need 2 same caliber bushings if you want to measure the bearings surface. One for the tip and one for the boat tail to go in.
I know, those are the Whidden open bushing sleeves. I get that. I'm talking about setups I see which is a Hornady red comparator body on each caliper blade and a bullet comparator insert in each body. Obviously the insert only works on the tip of the bullet. I think they are talking about measuring bearing surface, but they can't be using the bullet insert on the back end. I won't worry about it.

Sorry, but there is literally no difference between having a Hornady or Sinclair or Short Action Customs bullet insert in a comparator body on the boat tail end, and using a Hornady anvil or even just the caliper blade. The boat tail end can't fit in the bullet insert, so having a second comparator body and insert on the opposing blade would be pointless. You won't measure anything but bullet base to ogive, certainly not the bearing surface. You only have to look at the bullet inserts to see that. The only thing I've seen measure a bullet bearing surface are two of the Whidden comparator bushings inside twin comparator bodies. This is what prompted the question in my original post.