Bullet Market Advice

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I announced here a bit ago that we are making mono lathe turned bullets, and that we are working on the patent. I am considering launching a ULD type bullet that has no patent issues to get or overcome. It wouldn't have anything "new" about it, just a good quality bullet.

Do you all think this would be a good idea in light of the fact that we will be coming out with a potentially better offering later?

Steve

Every company needs more than one product.
As you know, every rifle is different and some may not like your new offering. Good luck...

That was my original thought. Then I think I started to over think it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

Focus on few products to satisfy customer demand. If you build a reputation and expand your production capacity, add new lines of products carefully. Don't overextend yourself.

you need to select a few bullets that you know will sell, shoot good, and you can have ample supply so people can get bullets when ordered. Then when you want to market new bullets you make some let guys shoot them to make sure they work create an ample supply so they don't get stuck on backorder and guys get sick of waiting.

whatever you do don't make false promises telling people that you will have the bullets done in a certain period and then not delivering. I would much rather wait to order bullets till your supply was ready.

I should have listened to royinidaho on waiting and not getting in on pre orders cause another bullet maker has left a sour taste in my mouth on that. this is all to say just make sure you can supply people with the bullets they order.

Steve,

I'd strongly consider getting "something that shoots well" out asap.

My thinking is that you get your name and product out for name recognition and of course income. A little money coming in never hurt anything.:)

If they shoot well, your reputation for good stuff will begin sooner giving credibility to the upgraded versions.

As far as price goes, I've been forced to go for availability over price. Thus I've been delving pretty deeply into lathe turned monos in several calibers. It turns out it's something I should have done long ago.

I've had great success with CEBs in both 277 and 375 cals.

There is nothing like good competition to keep the market stirred.:)

Ok, I agree with you guys. We will start getting together some offerings asap. Here is the million $ question. I have no idea what to expect for initial orders. Scares me to death. We will never miss lead anyone on how long it will take to get orders out. As with everything in the gun industry it seems to be the materials to make the product that cause the most problems.

Thanks,

Steve

Ok, I agree with you guys. We will start getting together some offerings asap. Here is the million $ question. I have no idea what to expect for initial orders. Scares me to death. We will never miss lead anyone on how long it will take to get orders out. As with everything in the gun industry it seems to be the materials to make the product that cause the most problems.

Thanks,

Steve
Being a brand new Company/product, people probably would like to get ahold of 50-100 to try. If they liked them, they probably would be in for 500-1000 depending on the price.

I believe, if you can give a high tested real world BC, you will do good. (if that's the market your after).

Just remember, if 200 people want 1000 bullets, that's 200,000 bullets. So be prepared to run volume.

RockyMtnMT I want to encourage you.

I love new products.
I shoot lots of solids.

I'm in the position of wanting more as in more information on your ELR and ULD possible offerings.

what you should do is make a few runs of bullets and get them out to guys on here that can shoot the bullets and give everyone including you an idea on what they perform like and things of that nature. That way you know if you need to do any tweaking or modifications you can, and you can compile a close b.c. Then those shooters can spread the word and the only thing left to do on your part is make bullets.

what you should do is make a few runs of bullets and get them out to guys on here that can shoot the bullets and give everyone including you an idea on what they perform like and things of that nature. That way you know if you need to do any tweaking or modifications you can, and you can compile a close b.c. Then those shooters can spread the word and the only thing left to do on your part is make bullets.

+1
You've got to start somewhere and somehow. A pool of shooters on this Forum would be a good way to step into marketing. Maybe jfseaman will actually buy some this time around...

Agree with what's been said... focus on a few good bullets or even a single bullet to build your reputation and grow your business.

At least for myself I would rather spend my time waiting for a .338 300 grain ULD (just an example) knowing that when you do offer that exact bullet it's going to be awesome because the .284 180 grain that you do offer (another example) is performing so well and getting amazing reviews.

And if you introduce new bullets slowly as you grow your company, all of the experience you gain along the way will be rolled into the design of each new bullet. As a consumer, if a particular caliber/weight is not offered yet I'll just assume it's because you're working so hard on making it right, and I'll wait patiently knowing that you are a new company trying to grow the right way. I won't be so patient if all I see is "out of stock" next to your .338 bullets. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.