Bullet length variation ogive to base

ZSteinle

While loading some 6-284 loads i happened to measure my amaxs at .699 ogive to base and when i went to another box that was from a seperate lot they were .705. now my question is do you seat them 6 thou's deeper to keep the same oal or do you have to start all over again working the load?

Load them to the same length from case head to O-give. So the O-give of the bullet is the same distance from the lands as the last lot. Then I would go shoot a group at long range. I would suspect the change if any will be in BC.

Jeff

Yea i was going to go shoot them today and i did load them to the same ogive to base length because that seemed like the logical thing to do.

It's normal for bullets to change from lot to lot. They aren't made to a blueprint or anything. Nobody can prove that 7thou difference in bullet bearing/base has any ballistic (internal or external) affect. Which is probably why bullet makers are not concerned about it.

As Broz suggested, the most important thing is still your ogvOAL(distance w/resp to lands).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.