Bullet Length / Twist Rate ( 25-06 )

9ptbuk

I would like to ask a question about my 25-06 , I've really struggled trying to get my 700 Long Range to shoot the longer 115/117 grain bullets by varies manufacturers, Sierra, Nosler PT, Nosler BT , Normandy SST . When I shot the Sierra 90 and 100 grain bullets which are substantially shorter , I instantly had groups of 1/2" or less . I see alot of guys here shooting the longer bullets and getting great groups ! Is my 1-10 twist rate hurting me or not ? Thanks

10 twist has always shot up to 120 gr for me great. I have found that most of these bullets need to jump a ways to the lands to shoot well. They also need to be loaded really close to max loads to shoot well. 52 grs H4831 usually shoots really well with the 115 and 117 gr bullets. I have a 25-06 that does not like boat tail bullets but it shoots bug holes with Sierra 117 pro hunter flat base bullets.

10 twist has always shot up to 120 gr for me great. I have found that most of these bullets need to jump a ways to the lands to shoot well. They also need to be loaded really close to max loads to shoot well. 52 grs H4831 usually shoots really well with the 115 and 117 gr bullets. I have a 25-06 that does not like boat tail bullets but it shoots bug holes with Sierra 117 pro hunter flat base bullets.

That 117 Sierra PH is next on my list ! Thank You for your response . Flat base may shine with my gun !

9, loading 115 Bergers with Retumbo for my hunt pal's Savage 24" 1:10. Read on this and other forums how shooters were getting great performance using Retumbo for 25-06. Most 25-06 are 1:10.

All three 25 barrels I have shot were 1in10" and all three have shot 115 bergers very well, as well as 115 ballistic tips and some 117 hornady's. So I doubt it's the twist rate.
Like RT2506, I have seen some barrels that like flat base bullets better, they won't have as good of ballistic coefficient, but if they shoot accurately it's just a matter of needing more clicks in your elevation at distance...

Orch

I would like to ask a question about my 25-06 , I've really struggled trying to get my 700 Long Range to shoot the longer 115/117 grain bullets by varies manufacturers, Sierra, Nosler PT, Nosler BT , Normandy SST . When I shot the Sierra 90 and 100 grain bullets which are substantially shorter , I instantly had groups of 1/2" or less . I see alot of guys here shooting the longer bullets and getting great groups ! Is my 1-10 twist rate hurting me or not ? Thanks

I shoot 115 Bergers out of my 26" .25-06 AI with a 1:10 twist, and it it's shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA. Seat them to .015" from the lands. I also use 7828 SSC powder. I get exceptional velocities.

I've been messing around with this cartridge since the 60's, it is one of the best cartridges anyone can own...still shooting the same 700 adl bought back around 1970, couldn't even guess how many rounds its shot and all with H-4350 and for the most part Sierra 117 pro hunters and Remington 9 1/2 primers, a lot of deer have met their demise with that load..only rifle I own that I don't use partitions or x-bullet in because of the superb accuracy of that little Sierra, just about perfect deer medicine!

I use IMR or Accurate 4350 (49 grs) They shoot the same for me. Remington cases, CCI 250 Mag primers, 3.150 COAL with the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base and get 3000 fps out of my 26" Shilen barrel. I get 1/3 MOA or better accuracy.This is the suggested accuracy load out of one of the older Sierra manuals. I have killed deer out to a little over 500 yards with no problems. 99% of the time it is Bang Flop.

My 26" 1-10 Krieger shoots the 115 Berger very well. Like MudRunner mine is a Ackley improved but I use H1000. Very consistent and accurate load with good velocity which is not far off a 257 Weatherby Mag.

I appreciate the Reply ! Good to know the rate of twist is probably not hurting me to bad . Gonna try so Sierra PH 117 bullets in it this fall along with some others . Has anybody had much luck with the .25 caliber Barnes 80 and 100 grain tipped bullets ??? Thanks

I think it's just a matter of finding the right charge weight and the right powder that makes your gun happy. I found a moderate load of IMR4350 that shoots them around 0.5 MOA if I do my part, at 100yds, from my 1:10 barrel. Still haven't found an acceptable load of H4831sc yet but have one more ladder to try. Some guns are just picky that way I guess

My Ruger 1V with 10 twist will shoot nothing well except the 87 grain Speer spritzer with 56 grains of 7848. Groups run right around an inch with that load. Should be a good antelope - deer load, but I have not shot anything with it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.