Bullet jump/ crushed case shoulder

tikkat3270wsm

loading .270wsm , have a load that gives me under 1/2 min groups. set my dies per instruction. checked manual(Nosler) , it gives max overall cartridge length at 2.860. worked my way down to that number, but it crushes the case shoulder.
I had some loaded by a smith, they measured 2.903. should I load an unprimed ,empty case and smoke the bullet ? If so , what is the bullet jump, if any that I need? I am loading 140 gr, nos ballistic tips

Your setting die is set to low put a case in raise the ram and thread the die in till it touches the case neck then back it of a turn then lock it down a retry setting a bullet;-)

ok, thanks. how much jump should I start with? I had a problem with the loads I had before. the necks split right at the start of the shoulder. from what I am reading, sounds like the bullet might have been to close, causing high pressures

You got something haywire, how are you adjusting your seating depth down? You should not be crunching a case with a seating die!!

I am adjusting the seating depth by turning the die down. that is the way I was shown. now that u say something , it only makes sense. I should be using the bolt on top. Sorry about this guys. I am really new to this

I am adjusting the seating depth by turning the die down. that is the way I was shown. now that u say something , it only makes sense. I should be using the bolt on top. Sorry about this guys. I am really new to this

Yes you adjust seating depth by turning down the screw in the center (seating stem) turning down the die body you literally gave your case no choice but to crush.

Take and empty put in your press and run the ram all the way up, turn down your die body till you feel it contact the case and back the die out 1/2turn and set the locking ring, now you can start turning down your seating stem to change the bullets seating depth. As for where to start I usually find how far out my bullet will be to contact the lands and seat it 0.020" deeper (i.e.0.020" clearance away from the rifling). In some rifle this will be to long to fit in the magazine.

Keep asking questions, folks on here are glad to help and most know their $&%@ very well and would rather help you than have you get hurt or damage your rifle:)

What dies are you using? It sounds like a crimping die. If you set the die too deep and then tried to seat a bullet, it would crimp the case into the bullet before it reached it's seating depth, and the ram would just mash the shoulder in and bulge the case out. Don't ask how I know.....

You need to read the instructions again. It should not say to screw the die down, and probably doesn't. The seating stem is used, not the die. You need to read, read some more, and then pay attention, or you may end up with an expensive mistake.

1+ on Joe's comment

Another thing you may want to invest in is a Hornady overall length gauge to help you get your depth set properly.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts