Bullet grip/neck tension question

odoylerules

I have between .002-.003 of neck tension on my 300 win mag. I've done my load work up and it shoots great. I'm using a.332 bushing, I tried a.330 but got noticeably better results with the 332. The concern I have is I can push the bullet in by hand. Not super easy mind you, but easy enough that I'm concerned. Is this normal? I don't want to have to treat this things like raw eggs.

That's not a good thing. Did you use any sort of lube on the case neck?
I used dry graphite. I dip the bullet in right before seating. I tap off excess, there's only a very fine coat. I was hoping to avoid the "cold welding" effects.

Looks like you're going to have to find a new load with more neck tension.
It's not just getting good results, in time it will give you problems. I would worry about seating to deep and having pressure problems.

Have you tried annealing your brass you may be getting alot of spring back in your brass. I run .002 - .003 in just about all my rifles and I can't push any in by hand, just a thought.

I've been annealing every firing. Do you guys use any dry lube or HBN etc?
I don't fully clean the carbon out of the necks either, just nylon brush them.

I've tried both ways to determine tension...measure sized case and loaded round, and measured neck thickness times 2 plus bullet diameter. I come up with 002-003 tension depending on what method.
My only option is to try another thou or two tighter bushing I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.