Bullet for hogs

Should work ok. I've found that having all the speed you can muster seems to kill hogs better than bullet weight. Might go with a mono in the 120-150gr range instead of the 180 to get more velocity. My hunting partners 22-250 with 55gr bullets kills hogs better than my 30-30 with 170gr coreloks. Like someone mentioned....their hide us made from the same stuff run flat tires are made from and speed really helps with that temporary wound cavity.

Should work ok. I've found that having all the speed you can muster seems to kill hogs better than bullet weight. Might go with a mono in the 120-150gr range instead of the 180 to get more velocity. My hunting partners 22-250 with 55gr bullets kills hogs better than my 30-30 with 170gr coreloks. Like someone mentioned....their hide us made from the same stuff run flat tires are made from and speed really helps with that temporary wound cavity.
The 124 grain Hammer would put some hurt on some Hogs . That bullet would be like a laser out of the 308.

Ballistic tips would not even make my list. I would use the 168 grain Barnes TTSX that I already have a load for in my .308. Other than that my thought process is a heavy well constructed bullet with maximum weight retention. Of course smaller hogs are greatly over rated and just about anything will work. If you shoot the 180 NBT well it should work fine. If you were talking a 150 gr NBT I would be trying to talk you out of it as in my experience that particular bullet just comes apart on close shots when launched around 3000fps.. I had the 150s fail on a whitetail shoulder hit. Luckily I was able get another shot into him. The first one did not penetrate the shoulder at 30 yards.

I've shot several with the Barnes 110 grain and they are deadly. I've been using the 130 grain Speer hot cor in my .300 ham'r which have been spectacular. in my 308 i use the 150-168 Hornday interlock and they are fine.

l have a 308 that I'm going to load 180 grain ballistic tips. Is this a good bullet for hogs or something else. Thanks
That will definitely do the job a little over kill. I shoot pigs with 5.56 55 grains and have buddies that use 17 hmr. So unless you are running subsonic I would lighten up the projectiles

People drop pigs on the run with .223 all the time. A well placed shot with a .17 WSM at the ear will drop a pig. If you are planning to aim at the shoulder (shield) area, then size and velocity must be considered. Anything from a 6.5 Creedmoor to a 30.06 can take the pig down in that case, but it just might run a hundred yards or so before dropping. It's always a head/neck shot for me. If it is an accurate shot, they will drop on the spot.

People drop pigs on the run with .223 all the time. A well placed shot with a .17 WSM at the ear will drop a pig. If you are planning to aim at the shoulder (shield) area, then size and velocity must be considered. Anything from a 6.5 Creedmoor to a 30.06 can take the pig down in that case, but it just might run a hundred yards or so before dropping. It's always a head/neck shot for me. If it is an accurate shot, they will drop on the spot.
I agree why mess up the meat if you don't have to

l have a 308 that I'm going to load 180 grain ballistic tips. Is this a good bullet for hogs or something else. Thanks
We have answered several Posts on shooting wild hogs over the years. Heavy calibers with expanding bullets are needed for body shots. Even a shot in the vitals the hog can run quite a bit. They have a hide like a Fuel Bladder in a Fighter Jet. Stop leak for a blood trail.
You can take shoulder shots, which will bring them down, but risk damaging meat.
We have used a .223 with SGK 65gr and shoot about 2" below the ear. Have had all drop in their tracks. A lot of them have their legs told up like a " Folding Chair" and just sit down - DEAD. Don't have the adrenaline run through the blood stream to taint the meat. Quick clean kill.
Mind you we hunt hogs at night over a feeding hole in the ground. It's an 8" pipe in the ground filled with fermented corn. When the hogs come in only one can eat at a time. This gives you a chance and time to pick out the one's you want. Shooting suppressed and with NV, we usually pick out the Alpha Sow for the first shot. Usually the rest just stand around and then shoot another.
Any of the 308 cases will work just fine (.243, 260, 7mm08, 308).
We just prefer the.223.
Shot placement is critical!

We have answered several Posts on shooting wild hogs over the years. Heavy calibers with expanding bullets are needed for body shots. Even a shot in the vitals the hog can run quite a bit. They have a hide like a Fuel Bladder in a Fighter Jet. Stop leak for a blood trail.
You can take shoulder shots, which will bring them down, but risk damaging meat.
We have used a .223 with SGK 65gr and shoot about 2" below the ear. Have had all drop in their tracks. A lot of them have their legs told up like a " Folding Chair" and just sit down - DEAD. Don't have the adrenaline run through the blood stream to taint the meat. Quick clean kill.
Mind you we hunt hogs at night over a feeding hole in the ground. It's an 8" pipe in the ground filled with fermented corn. When the hogs come in only one can eat at a time. This gives you a chance and time to pick out the one's you want. Shooting suppressed and with NV, we usually pick out the Alpha Sow for the first shot. Usually the rest just stand around and then shoot another.
Any of the 308 cases will work just fine (.243, 260, 7mm08, 308).
We just prefer the.223.
Shot placement is critical!
I prefer one inch below the ear and then bullets don't matter.

Can't shoot them near the ear when they are in the trap, the moment you stick a handgun through the cage, they tried to go after it. Frontal shot with 357 Sig does a number on them.

This was in Webb County by Laredo. Checked the trap at daybreak, gate was still up. 10 as we were about to leave we went back to put the trap gate down these guys were there.

Resized_2012-12-19_11-51-39_471_144662504778929.jpeg