Bullet ? for handloads

WhiteOak

Bullet question . Do you re-adjust a load when going to a different lot number but still use the same bullet,grain and manufacturer ?

Thanks

If the powder and primer are the same, but the bullet is from a new lot I never test again. It is 99% the same, but then it should be a good brand bullet like Nosler or Hornady. Their quality control is excellent.

I load a small sample and test before doing a bulk reload session. But I don't initially try and rework it. Often with powder/primers as long as I wasn't at a max load I'll load a couple up and try them out too. If the velocity is off then you have a redflag its performing different and it gives you a direction on which way to adjust. If you're near a max its not a bad idea to load up some incremental charges to find one that matches your original velocity and then confirm the load.

I don't change anything unless accuracy changes. Then I check velocity. But keep good notes to include lot numbers. You never know when that info may reveal something down the road.

Thanks to all replies ! Is there anything wrong with copying a factory seating depth ?
In question would be Nosler 165 gr. 308" for 3006 .
Thanks .

Thanks to all replies ! Is there anything wrong with copying a factory seating depth ?
In question would be Nosler 165 gr. 308" for 3006 .
Thanks .

I wouldn't have any problem with copying the factory depth as long as the bullet weight was the same as the factory's. But that'd be just a starting point because I can't precisely match the factory powder type/charge, neck tension, and all the other factors that are important considerations.

I wouldn't have any problem with copying the factory depth as long as the bullet weight was the same as the factory's. But that'd be just a starting point because I can't precisely match the factory powder type/charge, neck tension, and all the other factors that are important considerations.
Thanks , maybe their powders are hotter .

I also have found Nosler (ballistic tips) & hornady (Amax) to be very consistent from lot to lot and normally do not have to adjust...[knock on wood]

Berger bullets (they are accurate) are all over the place from lot to lot and year to year... Sometimes I found base to ogive as much as .015 different and rework had to be done...Don't know if this is an actual change in the profile or their dies or die manufacturer are just that inconsistent....I have had older 130 grain 6.5 hunting bullets that were actually longer in overall length than 140gr 6.5 hunting but weight consistency was superb....

They however are usually very accurate when tuned back in....
Not only does base to ogive change but diameters also increase as the dies wear... which also affects bullet overall length which again can cause feed problems after adjusting jam/jump....Diameter changes usually small (a couple of ten thousandths up to .0005) will obviously affect velocity & pressure....

Don't know if these changes are deliberate as a marketing tool to sell more bullets because of extra load development or possibly a result of manufacturing lax and QC....I have used .243, .257, 6.5s and .308, after purchasing literally 1000s of Berger bullets and seeing some of the problems I find them very accurate once tuned in so my suggestion is to purchase as many as you can afford of one lot at a time...This goes for all bullets....

Good Luck,
Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.