Bullet for elk hunting.

Unfortunately trying to get what I normally use is hard. I've mainly been using core lokts but trying to get them is hard. I know of some but they are trying to charge a ridiculous amount. I used Barnes for a bit but wasn't very impressed. A good bull elk is on my bucket list. So finding a good bullet especially one I can get so I can shoot and practice is important. It seems like some of the smaller companies are the ones who actually have bullets in stock. I also like helping small businesses grow so I figured it would be best to go that direction. I'm open to any good bullet lead core or copper lead free. I just want something I can get and performs well. Thanks for your help.
The 137 Hammer Hunter will give you what you want and more for elk out to 500. Terminal performance is exceptional and if I had one bullet to take a once in a lifetime animal, from 0 to its effective range, right now it would be a Hammer Hunter.

The 137 Hammer Hunter will give you what you want and more for elk out to 500. Terminal performance is exceptional and if I had one bullet to take a once in a lifetime animal, from 0 to its effective range, right now it would be a Hammer Hunter.
I'll add to this a little. There is a tremendous amount of great information from many good people on this forum and I would never question any of their advice. When it comes to the bullet hitting the bone, for over 40 years, I've shot nearly every bullet made and killed hundred's deer and nearly a couple of dozen elk with a multitude of various bullets. I've never experienced terminal performance better than Hammers. I'm not a Hammer fan boy but I am chasing and will till I'm pushing daisies the best bullet for taking game. Steve and Brian developed the best at this time in my humble opinion. They have stayed true to their values in providing us hunters a great product and hopefully they'll continue to push the envelope and the boundaries to exceed our expectations. Im not affiliated with them whatsoever other than I purchase their bullets for myself and all the friends I load for. If you'd like for me to send you some to try, I'll be happy to.

I'll add to this a little. There is a tremendous amount of great information from many good people on this forum and I would never question any of their advice. When it comes to the bullet hitting the bone, for over 40 years, I've shot nearly every bullet made and killed hundred's deer and nearly a couple of dozen elk with a multitude of various bullets. I've never experienced terminal performance better than Hammers. I'm not a Hammer fan boy but I am chasing and will till I'm pushing daisies the best bullet for taking game. Steve and Brian developed the best at this time in my humble opinion. They have stayed true to their values in providing us hunters a great product and hopefully they'll continue to push the envelope and the boundaries to exceed our expectations. Im not affiliated with them whatsoever other than I purchase their bullets for myself and all the friends I load for. If you'd like for me to send you some to try, I'll be happy to.
What's a hammer fan boy?

There are a lot of good bullets out there. Barnes and Hammers are great for working up close and far out.

Last year I shot a deer with a 151gn Absolute Hunter in 308Win 22in barrel, 260 yards. Diagonal exit. Muzzle velocity was 3000fps +/-10. Impact around 2350fps. Performance was perfect. I mention the Absolute Hunter because it can give you an extra 100fps because of its special design. They are fairly easy to develop loads for, if one is careful.

Personally, with a 308 I would want to be within 400 yards and getting closer. An elk is a large animal and the 308 doesn't have much energy to spare out at 350+, should a more marginal impact take place. But knowing your rifle and how it shoots is the most important. The Absolute Hammer will expand out to 500 yards, if you can put it solidly in the vitals.
I've killed game out past 700 yards with 308's. I shoot mine out to 1200 yards on a regular basis. I have a decent collection of precision rifles in multiple cartridges. This one I got years ago from my grandpa. So I'm taking it over the other rifles that I have. I appreciate your help and information.

LOL, here's an elk taken at 875Y with a .308 Win propelling the 168 Berger VLD Hunter.

It's amazing to me people think the 308 isn't capable. I've killed past 700 yards with multiple rifles. I have buddies who kill at 800-1000 yards with them every year. Bullet choice and shot placement.

I didn't know that he was the owner I appreciate you letting me know. I'll have to look through the forum at his stuff. Is there any pictures of performance on game available? Thanks for your help.
You sure don't need fancy expensive bullets to kill elk with a 308. Pretty much anything in 150gr to 180gr will work at 308 velocities. Been doing it for close to 40 yrs. Pick one that shoots well in your rifle and go hunting.
If I'm going on a Elk hunt , the expense of a bullet would be the least of my concern.Take me Elk hunting and I will buy my and your bullets of choice and pay all my expenses and then some. I'll even buy all the Ribeye,s.

You sure don't need fancy expensive bullets to kill elk with a 308. Pretty much anything in 150gr to 180gr will work at 308 velocities. Been doing it for close to 40 yrs. Pick one that shoots well in your rifle and go hunting.
Very true and a poured piece of lead will do the same. However, when better options are available and means are obtainable, why not take advantage of them. Stone tipped arrows for years took a ton of game as well. When the Indians were introduced to the fire stick, they quickly made the change. To your point, there are many good options and for the OP's request, there are better options.

Thanks for all your advice and help I appreciate it. A buddy has been using cavity back bullets and had good results. It's a small company in Montana that makes monolithics. He just got a bunch of them so I bought a couple hundred off of him. I've never used them before but they look promising with the design. Now to load development and truing ballistics. Thanks again to everyone who commented.

Hello good people, not knocking anyone's choices, but never hunted Elk. Now I have hunted some very large hogs, have hit some sideways spun it around and some I didn't have to trail to far. Not to the point of if you can afford it or not, it's still a once in a life time go. Do what you feel the first time you found you had I'm sure you had something in mind. I have shot a lot of cor-lokts even when I started reloading it has good penetration and expansion I'm in Florida and had go to a lighter bullet for the deer size. Cor-lokts is a good choice.