Bullet for elk hunting.

Nosler partition or accubonds in 168- 180 should get the job done, they should be easily found at your local mom and pop stores. Remember your variables, lighter bullet more Kentucky windage. Heavier bullet more Tennessee elevation, balanced with energy on impact. Good luck

There are a lot of good bullets out there. Barnes and Hammers are great for working up close and far out.

Last year I shot a deer with a 151gn Absolute Hunter in 308Win 22in barrel, 260 yards. Diagonal exit. Muzzle velocity was 3000fps +/-10. Impact around 2350fps. Performance was perfect. I mention the Absolute Hunter because it can give you an extra 100fps because of its special design. They are fairly easy to develop loads for, if one is careful.

Personally, with a 308 I would want to be within 400 yards and getting closer. An elk is a large animal and the 308 doesn't have much energy to spare out at 350+, should a more marginal impact take place. But knowing your rifle and how it shoots is the most important. The Absolute Hammer will expand out to 500 yards, if you can put it solidly in the vitals.

How does the ridiculous amount for the bullets compare to what you are going to spend on the hunt?

I understand your thinking. However, how is a CoreLokt that's accurate in a the OP's rifle a bad choice for elk? It really isn't a long range bullet, though that really depends on the shooter. My point is while it is certainly old bullet tech, it will perform with boring predictability out of the OP .308 Winchester rifle.

All I'm saying there is no quantifiable difference between elk killed with a premium bullet .vs a standard cup-n-core. Also if your hunt success hinges on bullet choice you've already lost. As long as you aren't pushing things to the edge of failure or beyond, a well placed Rem CL isn't going to ruin a hunt for anyone.

I would prefer Nosler Accubonds or Partitions. If those are unattainable, don't count Hornandy bullets out. Where I live, they are about the only company that has a decent supply to the stores I visit in my area. I think the ELD-X would work great and they have a new all copper CX out if you prefer. Nothing wrong with their tried and true interlocks either. Like I said, I am usually a Nosler bullet guy, but when you can't find anything else, nothing wrong with Hornandy either. Shot placement is probably the most important, but you already know that. Good luck! Hope you find a nice bull.

Placement is way more important than which bullet brand. I live and hunt in N. Idaho, and choose rifles based on where we are hunting because it ranges from a few yards to across canyons.
My 308 is short a barrel, light gun and I use 150gr or 165gr Partions. Seems the best balance in this rifle.
Don't be afraid to use 180gr ballistic tips. At the 500yd mark they may drop more, but they'll be delivering more energy and open reliably. You're going to be compensating for drop and drift anyway, a higher BC will help.

Hey everyone got a elk hunt coming up soon and trying to figure out the best bullet for it. I prefer to buy from small businesses. Rifle is a 308 win with a 24" barrel. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Hey everyone got a elk hunt coming up soon and trying to figure out the best bullet for it. I prefer to buy from small businesses. Rifle is a 308 win with a 24" barrel. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!

Coper bullets will create more wear on your barrel and they just don't quite have the same accuracy and BC you can get from match or hunting lead core bullets. Coper bullets really limit the effective range of the 308 due to the minimum velocity recommended (varies by caliber and manufacturer) to get good and reliable expansion and a quick kill; if all you hit are the lung(s) for example... Of course, any bullet that takes out the CNS or goes through the heart and lungs will work, but does it reliably provide the quickest kill under different conditions?

The long range hunting group videos provide the best comprehensive empirical data when it comes to terminal ballistics for your application and many others. You should check out this video:
The host reviews a shot made out of a 308 at 875 Yards, brings the Elk down right down on the spot. Berger VLD was used for this shot but you have many other good bullet options, such as ELD-Ms, A-tips, TMKs, etc... (165 Gr. to 176 Gr.):