Bullet for elk hunting.

Lyman 429421 poured out of "Hardball" (BHN ~16) worked well at 110 yards for this cow. I've used all manner of bullets. One truth always rings true: put the bullet in the right place and you'll drop your elk.

Attachments

• 20200902_070946.jpg
    20200902_070946.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 64
Hello good people, not knocking anyone's choices, but never hunted Elk. Now I have hunted some very large hogs, have hit some sideways spun it around and some I didn't have to trail to far. Not to the point of if you can afford it or not, it's still a once in a life time go. Do what you feel the first time you found you had I'm sure you had something in mind. I have shot a lot of cor-lokts even when I started reloading it has good penetration and expansion I'm in Florida and had go to a lighter bullet for the deer size. Cor-lokts is a good choice.
For me elk isn't a once in a lifetime animal. I grew up and spent most of my life in the northwest Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. Due to work I've have been all over the place the last decade or so. I've killed elk before and simply haven't got a good bull to mount. This is a over the counter tag hunting with a buddy. Money isn't a issue for bullets all that matters is the terminal performance. I've used most bullets over the years in competition and hunting. I could buy bullets I've used before from big companies. However this time I wanted to try new bullets I haven't used and support small business. Elk really aren't hard to kill good bullet in the right spot and they go down.

Thanks for all your advice and help I appreciate it. A buddy has been using cavity back bullets and had good results. It's a small company in Montana that makes monolithics. He just got a bunch of them so I bought a couple hundred off of him. I've never used them before but they look promising with the design. Now to load development and truing ballistics. Thanks again to everyone who commented.
Excellent! That's the beauty of living here in America; we still have freedom of choice from plenty of bullets. I am looking forward to your load development. I have some CBB bullets for my .30 Gibbs, but I have not shot them yet. Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Ed

I am an avid elk hunter, you already have a 308, so for now just use that. I am sure a few here will only be talking about the numbers and how fast that bullet goes, and how flat it can go. With that said I will say you do not want the fastest/flattest bullet. (the best all around caliber for elk hunting is a 300 or a 300 ultra) don't get me wrong it's nice to be able to shoot an elk at 1200 yards.
But most shots in my 24 years of hunting elk have been between 250 yards to 500 yards, in 24 years of hunting elk I have only had elk at 700 to 900 yards 3 times. 2 of those times were at 700 yards, and only one time at 900 yards.

I shot a 30-06 150gr to 168gr. (I would only shoot the 168gr or 165gr, but they are hard to find these days)
Noslars tips Corlock are the way to go. they have just the right amount of mushroom.
Which is one of the most important parts of elk hunting as they have a thick hide and you have to make a bigger hole than just the size of a 30 cal bullet can make. If it does not expand. they can go for miles before they die. I have not lost one elk in 24 years and I have only come home with paper 3 times. so with that said I would look for Corlock or Nosler tip bullets. as far as Grain size, I have never spent any time with a 308 so I would pick a happy medium that will give you the best accuracy out to 500 yards that provides the best amount of punching power. (in hunting the fastest shooting bullet is not always the best killing round)

I know we have a lot of great reloaders here that can break down which load would give you accuracy with the best amount of punch, you will lose distances. but you will kill it faster with a great punching bullet. and no one should have to track an animal for more than 100 yards. (if you have to track an animal over 100 yards, you are shooting the wrong round, and or you need to spend more time at the range.

if you're going to buy an elk gun look at 300 win mag. anyway hope you have a successful trip.

Attachments

• 319469_10151999574458538_899954868_n.jpg
    319469_10151999574458538_899954868_n.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 56
Excellent! That's the beauty of living here in America; we still have freedom of choice from plenty of bullets. I am looking forward to your load development. I have some CBB bullets for my .30 Gibbs, but I have not shot them yet. Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Ed
Thank you for your help. My buddy said that they performed well. Good luck with your load development also and good luck hunting.

I'll add to this a little. There is a tremendous amount of great information from many good people on this forum and I would never question any of their advice. When it comes to the bullet hitting the bone, for over 40 years, I've shot nearly every bullet made and killed hundred's deer and nearly a couple of dozen elk with a multitude of various bullets. I've never experienced terminal performance better than Hammers. I'm not a Hammer fan boy but I am chasing and will till I'm pushing daisies the best bullet for taking game. Steve and Brian developed the best at this time in my humble opinion. They have stayed true to their values in providing us hunters a great product and hopefully they'll continue to push the envelope and the boundaries to exceed our expectations. Im not affiliated with them whatsoever other than I purchase their bullets for myself and all the friends I load for. If you'd like for me to send you some to try, I'll be happy to.
Hey just wanted to say thank you for your advice and your offer for bullets. I ended up getting a hold of some cavity back bullets to use. I'll probably down the road try hammer bullets as I like to try everything I can. Always on the hunt for the best equipment possible. It's definitely expensive but the end result is worth it. I do appreciate your offer like I said but when I test them eventually I'll order from hammer. That way they are getting money and you're not out of your bullets. Hope you have a good hunting season.

Coper bullets will create more wear on your barrel and they just don't quite have the same accuracy and BC you can get from match or hunting lead core bullets. Coper bullets really limit the effective range of the 308 due to the minimum velocity recommended (varies by caliber and manufacturer) to get good and reliable expansion and a quick kill; if all you hit are the lung(s) for example... Of course, any bullet that takes out the CNS or goes through the heart and lungs will work, but does it reliably provide the quickest kill under different conditions?

The long range hunting group videos provide the best comprehensive empirical data when it comes to terminal ballistics for your application and many others. You should check out this video:
The host reviews a shot made out of a 308 at 875 Yards, brings the Elk down right down on the spot. Berger VLD was used for this shot but you have many other good bullet options, such as ELD-Ms, A-tips, TMKs, etc... (165 Gr. to 176 Gr.):

Thanks for the links I'll jump on and watch them.

I'd probably try a Berger 175 Match Hunting VLD since 500 yards max, MV of 2700 fps is doable and that will get you close to 1500 ft/lbs at 500 yards. Looks like you've loaded a lot of "match" bullets so should be an easy load development for you. Good luck on the hunt.

Has anyone used the 7mm 190g. Hornady A-Tip on Elk
I know that Gun Werks has used the 6.5mm 135g. A-Tip
on Pronghorn.

Has anyone used the 7mm 190g. Hornady A-Tip on Elk
I know that Gun Werks has used the 6.5mm 135g. A-Tip
on Pronghorn.
I have buddies who used them on elk with great results. I've seen them taken with 6mm to 30 caliber and they performed very well. I've killed a few animals with them and have been really happy. I run the 110 a tips in one of my match guns and they are a good bullet.

I've never had any issues with accubonds on elk..... 165gr, 180gr, and 200gr all have gotten the job done for me out of a .300 win mag. Typically a full pass through, or tucked under the skin on the opposite side with almost 100% weight retention.