Bullet for .375 H&H Moose/Grizzly

I shoot 270 grain barnes lrx, shoots under 1 moa and does a ton of damage. Shot a Brownie last fall, didn't work out well for him!!! Didn't recover any bullets from him. all thru and thru...

I know this should go on the "for sale" part, but I thought I would let the people here I have 13 boxes of old stock Nosler partition, 300 grain Spitzer, 0.375" projos in my shop I have had here for nearly 8 years. If anyone would like them, PM me and we can discuss price. I have two lot numbers. 6 boxes in one lot, 7 boxes in the other.

Hey Flyguy1, I killed my Kodiak bear with a 375 H&H using 235 gr and 270 gr Barnes TSX's. First shot was the 235's and the rest were 270's. The 235's were under 1MOA and the 270's were right at 1MOA, POI was very close at 100 yards. The first shot was thru the chest and he started spinning like a top, biting at his side. I recovered two of the 270's that went thru most of the bear, one smashed a shoulder and went all the way to the hide opposite. The other went into the chest and thru the abdomen and back leg. My partner and I shot until he stopped moving. Partner was using a 375 Ruger. My 375 also likes the 250 TTSX Barnes, groups them around .5 MOA. I think that is what I'd use if I ever went after another Kodiak brown. My bear squared out at 9 foot.

I have a glass jar full of recovered bullets from many critters here, including water buffalo.
For my money, you can't go past 270gr or 300gr Woodleigh PP and even a 260gr Accubond. The 300gr Accubond is too tough for anything smaller than water buff.
The above 3 bullets will stop, or at least turn, an angry bear. I have to say my particular cartridge (375 Bee) hits with considerably more energy than the H&H, but those bullets work very well at H&H velocities.

Cheers.

I have had problems with an Alaska Brown Bear and my .338 Winchester Magnum with hand loaded 275 grain Speer bullets performed very well. I considered my .338 with the 275 gr Speer my long range Go To rifle-bullet combination. It performed well on long range Barren Ground Caribou. I took three Boone & Crockett Club book moose (2 - Canadian & 1 - Alaskan). I took one with a Winchester .300 H&H Mag, 180 grain Sierra Boat Tail. Another with the .338 Winchester Mag. And one with a .270 150 grain Sierra Boat Tail. I was surprised that my .270 Win did so well on the big Canadian moose. All three were one shot kills and they dropped in their tracks. I have a high opinion of the .375 H&H.

Now about the .375 H&H. I have used this cartridge twice when hunting. Once on a Polar Bear and the other a Bison. I used Remington factory 270 grain ammo. I find the 375 to be spectular. When fired the recoil is more rolling than the sharper shoulder hit of a .338 Win Mag. I was most impressed with the bullet hit the polar. That is, the energy of my bullet turned his shoulder meat literally into jelly. The bear never turned to show me his side. After he saw me he kept coming straight on over pressure ridges and even jumped into open water that formed when the wind opened the ice pack a bit. I scoped the rifle with a Leupold 1- 4x. The bison went down hard and fast, too, when that 270 grain bullet hit him on his left shoulder.

Last edited:
I passed along my Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H to a friend of the family and he will be going on a moose hunt this fall with the caveat that lots of grizzlies in the area (dinner bell effect). While this is in lower 48, would particularly be interested in the comments of folks who have actually killed grizzlies/brown bear in Alaska, charging or not. This would obv not be long range hunting. Thanks to all, and to all who served.

While I'm a unapologetic fan of Barnes Bullets, I had great success with Hornady 270 SP's in my H&H. But, if I were going to hunt with my "retired" H&H.....I'd stuff it with Barnes 250 TTSX's! A great bullet for bigger animals....yet light enough, when pushed pretty hard, can make the old H&H a very capable 500 yard cartridge! memtb

I passed along my Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H to a friend of the family and he will be going on a moose hunt this fall with the caveat that lots of grizzlies in the area (dinner bell effect). While this is in lower 48, would particularly be interested in the comments of folks who have actually killed grizzlies/brown bear in Alaska, charging or not. This would obv not be long range hunting. Thanks to all, and to all who served.
Any good bullet will work in a 375 H&H. I particularly like the 260 accubond and the 250 Barnes TSX. Both give long range shooting ability for moose and will stop a grizzly on a dime returning 9 cents change.

in my 375 I shoot speer 260 or the 260 accubond.. all are heavy enough to stop any northwest montana griz and any moose on earth.. the light bullet will shoot at long distances and recoil less.
Also the serria gameking in a 375 mabe 250 or 270 will stop all the above and give you the long shot.