Bullet for .375 H&H Moose/Grizzly

flyguy1

I passed along my Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H to a friend of the family and he will be going on a moose hunt this fall with the caveat that lots of grizzlies in the area (dinner bell effect). While this is in lower 48, would particularly be interested in the comments of folks who have actually killed grizzlies/brown bear in Alaska, charging or not. This would obv not be long range hunting. Thanks to all, and to all who served.

Not an outfitter; just a moose draw tag in Montana. Not legal to shoot grizzlies here; so grizzly kill would be do-or-die deal. Did have a friend killed (and eaten) a few years back while dressing out an elk though, and the bear attacks last hunting season here made the news.

I use Barnes. When dressing any big game animal in Griz country, always have at least 2 people. One to gut, one to guard. Learn the "boneless" gutting system, less to carry. Gutter should also carry large caliber handgun and everyone have bearspray. If you have horses tie them up (firmly) nearby. Great bear alarm clock. A serious dog is also good. Grizzes, protected by Obama judge, are spreading like rats at a dump. 100s are killed every year ---- a total waste !

We lost a guide last year. He put his 10mm Glock out of reach, Bowhunter couldn't run it and ran away. 2 bears had to be killed. Each (and many others) could have been a $5000 non resident tag for WY ! (IF the Governor had any balls)

Not many bad choices in .375 H&H, for moose or grizzly.

It would depend a bit on what kind of hunting he foresees.

These days I would likely use the 281 Hammer Hunter. But the Swift, and Partitions have good histories.

Thanks to all; responses on other more Alaska-oriented newsgroups very similar; 270-300 Barnes or Swift A-Frame. Everyone have a great Memorial Day evening!

Those look similar to the Lehigh bullets I've used, very nasty! Do you think a fella from Montana (U.S.A.) can/should get them?
I did not sure if they shiped ,but You can sent mail to them.

My friend recommended that bullet to me for my 375 HH but I did not buy them yet because I have another ammo on the shelf but i will try them in the future.

He is very pleased with them and he shoot 375 HH ,7mm rem mag,3006 , 300 win mag and 8x57 (only DK bullets).