Bullet falling out of barrel in cold conditions

Back when the Thompson Center Hawken came out I always used pure lead greased patched balls with pillow ticking for the patch. It was a .50 caliber. The day before deer season opened for muzzle loaders I was inclined to try a .50 cal maxi-ball and tried one at a gun range at Cuyahoga Falls north of Akron. It shot ok but without cleaning the barrel the second one stuck hard about 6-7" down the muzzle. I had greased the grooves of the maxi-balls and there was not getting it to move. I wound up getting a drill bit extension and drilled a 1/4" hole through it. Then took a long 3/8 lag bolt that had a round large ring on the end. I wound up putting the barrel in a wood lined vice and placed a long tire iron through it with the lower end wedged on the end of the work bench. Then I whacked the dickens on the top end the bar with a 6 lb. hammer. Needless to say I have never tried another maxi-ball.
So I went to using the plastic wads that would curl over the ball while ramming it down to hold it in against the powder. Yes, I shot at two deer and the shot went whoosh, no ball. The fifth shot at a deer I killed it.
They are a lot of fun but could make a person waste the cost of a large elk license if you don't perfect the patched ball or use the plastic ringed sealing bullets. They aren't legal in Colorado though.

I've been thinking about getting away from sabots and switching to a bullet to bore load with my muzzleloader. My brother attempted this a few years ago using Thor bullets, and all seemed to be well until the mercury dropped below 20°. It seems once cold enough the bullet was contracting more than the barrel and his loads would literally slide out the muzzle. Is this an issue anyone else has run into? Is it not an issue using say Pittman or parker bullets? Would a wad hold the bullet in? Thanks for any input
I have shot and swear by the Thor bullets. Many dead animals from them. Using Blackhorn Powder and I always shoot a fouling shot before loading for the hunt. I would think the little bit of fouling would solve your problem.

Have him try sizing them a 1/2 size up...go to ml forums to learn how, but basically you put a small 1/4" drive socket in the base and tap it with a hammer to expand an extra .0005" --- I use .501's expanded to .5015" as the .502s were too hard to load and the.501s are a tad too loose.

If he has to expand it more then he bought the wrong size.