Bullet failures

Wait! Was that the antelope that was at like 900 yards and he swore was hit in the "dark spot"???
I don't remember. I do remember it was a long thread and the OP came clean and reported the buck was unharmed. Clean miss.

Hence my caution, "never shoot a target bullet at game".

Don't us a hammer for a wrench, don't use a target bullet for hunting... .

Agreed! But you know people will experiment on them (I included - Hornady A-Max/Berger target bullets on deer and antelope <400Y) on a game. I harvested a few games with them. Lately, I have been hearing ELD-Ms have better results than the ELD-Xs. Your statement remains true.

The 162gr Amax and the 7mm-08 is one deadly combination. Will provably try out the 160gr Sierra TMK next year.

And I tried the AMax due to reading that it worked great, same with the TMK. Some target bullets work great on game and some don't. They do have their limitations of course.

The 162gr Amax and the 7mm-08 is one deadly combination. Will provably try out the 160gr Sierra TMK next year.

And I tried the AMax due to reading that it worked great, same with the TMK. Some target bullets work great on game and some don't. They do have their limitations of course.

At those lower velocities they may perform ok. I would not shoot them at game period but to each their own.

I don't remember. I do remember it was a long thread and the OP came clean and reported the buck was unharmed. Clean miss.
You must be referring to this one.

Attachments

• B2F13EEF-72A6-47FC-B324-9C191C8235C3.jpeg
    B2F13EEF-72A6-47FC-B324-9C191C8235C3.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 57
I cannot say I've ever had a bullet fail on an animal. I have only ever lost one big game animal -an antelope shot was a little over 600 yards and she ran off with the herd a looonnnggg way, multiple ridges away and 2 days later when I found her I realized the bullet had killed, but impact location wasn't ideal (was right below the spine above the lungs) and I hadn't found her in time… that was a sad day!😣😢

Last edited:
Yes, at lower velocities they have worked great. I will not shoot them out of my 7mm Rem Mag or a 7 RSAUM, for that a 175gr or 180gr will work best.
I haven't shot a 7mm slower than the 7RM yet. All the current 7's I own are STW's. The next will probably be a bit faster.

Fast and flat for open country tickles me right down to my toes.

So, after all the threads lately about bullets and how one is better than the other etc etc etc...

Has anyone truly had a "bullet failure" on a game animal? Where you for 100% certainty, can say you made proper shot placement and the bullet actually failed at killing the animal humanely?

Absolutely! I shot a blacktail buck in the shoulder at 13 steps. The deer turned away so I shot it in the tail as it started to run. I got one into the back of the neck at the skull about twenty steps and it went down. I discovered the Hornady 7mm 175 grainer flattened out on the shoulder blade. The one in the pelvis also did not break the bone. All this from a 7 Rem Mag. I switched to Nosler Partitions and used them until Barnes came out with the X bullets. Then later I switched to the TTSX. Now I use Hammer bullets.