Bullet fail...Accubond CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but still the second bullet was found on top of the dirt right beneath the jug, it didn't even go into the dirt an inch...

And secondly, if the first bullet hit the ground first there would've been a skid mark (there wasn't) and the bullet would most likely have dirt on it and it was completely clean...

Plus, that still doesn't explain the two deer that were shot with them and didn't exit...

I'll get video this week.

Adam, think about this logically for a second. Do you really think that a bullet traveling at the velocity necessary to reach a 300 yard target and hit that near your aiming point would only penetrate 1" into dirt and still mushroom clear to the base of the jacket?

Adam, think about this logically for a second. Do you really think that a bullet traveling at the velocity necessary to reach a 300 yard target and hit that near your aiming point would only penetrate 1" into dirt and still mushroom clear to the base of the jacket?

No I don't think its possible, that's why I posted it here. It makes zero sense, but 3 of us saw it happen and were flabbergasted.

Yet still, they didn't make it thru two deer either...

Plus, if it bounced into the jug it wouldn't have made a perfect hole dead center I wouldn't think...

Remember there were two bullets, one was found inside the jug, the other was found on top of the dirt in front of the jug...

Were there bullet material in the jug or just a clean bullet? From my point of view the hits on the deer are much more troubling than water jugs, I've shot the 140 Accubond through a good number of deer and elk and NEVER caught one except in the dirt behind them. Maybe try shooting jugs suspended in the air.

Were there bullet material in the jug or just a clean bullet? From my point of view the hits on the deer are much more troubling than water jugs, I've shot the 140 Accubond through a good number of deer and elk and NEVER caught one except in the dirt behind them. Maybe try shooting jugs suspended in the air.

Just a clean bullet, one hole in and nothing out...

The 2nd bullet was literally on top of the ground, didn't even dig a tiny bit for it.

I'm now thinking maybe the velocity is off...I don't know but I'm busting out the chrony this week to make sure.

If that bullet opened in one jug there should be frag in the bottom of the jug that equals the missing weight of the bullet.

If that bullet opened in one jug there should be frag in the bottom of the jug that equals the missing weight of the bullet.

That's true, I don't remember any...I'll ask the other guys if they remember.

If it did bounce, that means it was mushrooming before it hit the jug so should've made a bigger hole, not a perfect .270 hole...?

If you found no other bullet fragments in the gallon jug, then elkaholic is correct. As unlikely as it seems, one bullet bounced into the gallon jug and the second landed beneath it.

Just like the bullet bounced into the wolf - on the second skip at that.

Don't place your video camera too close to the jug. You might hit it with a bouncing bullet. Or if the bullet hits the milk jug in the air, the video camera will get a shower.

If it did bounce, that means it was mushrooming before it hit the jug so should've made a bigger hole, not a perfect .270 hole...?

That is a valid point, I too would think the "entry wound" would have to be bigger than .270 if it richochet into the jug.

I am really anxious to hear the chono'd velocities and see that video.
Even if everything works correctly in the video, please show that. That way we can call it a freak incident and maybe at least sleep at night!:)

That is a valid point, I too would think the "entry wound" would have to be bigger than .270 if it richochet into the jug.

I am really anxious to hear the chono'd velocities and see that video.
Even if everything works correctly in the video, please show that. That way we can call it a freak incident and maybe at least sleep at night!:)

It's still stinking raining! Might be a small break tomorrow they are saying then hopefully we'll make it out to test it again!

They still will not be used on game again, the one on top of the ground and the two deer that didn't even get pass thru's are enough for me.

It's still stinking raining! Might be a small break tomorrow they are saying then hopefully we'll make it out to test it again!

They still will not be used on game again, the one on top of the ground and the two deer that didn't even get pass thru's are enough for me.

Is there any link in this performance to a certain lot# of bullets? Were the ones with questionable results all from the same box or same lot??

My experiences around the Nosler Accubond have all been rather positive, and it sound like most folks have had good luck with them.?

Is there any link in this performance to a certain lot# of bullets? Were the ones with questionable results all from the same box or same lot??

My experiences around the Nosler Accubond have all been rather positive, and it sound like most folks have had good luck with them.?

Yeah same two boxes, same lot number. I haven't contacted Nosler/Winchester yet, I wanted to see what you guys thought first.

I've always liked AccuBonds also and have always had good luck with them.

Were there any trees next to the bullets path?
Might it have hit a branch near the target?

I'd be puzzled though, that it still hit the jugs, if it had had contact with a branch.

Adam....Thank you for posting and asking this question! I am in no way trying to belittle your findings but to come up with a logical answer. The velocity issue, I don't believe is valid. If the velocity was off far enough off as to cause this, the bullets would have come no where near the target. Was the hole through the jug clean and round (.270) or somewhat ragged? If it was perfectly round and .270 diameter, than this is indeed a mystery.....Rich

Okay...but that still doesn't say why a $55 box of premium ammo performs so poorly...

This ammo has been used to take two deer. One muley in Wyoming from 30 yards, straight on chest shot, didn't even make it to the internals. Next was a Nebraska doe last year, 330ish yard broadside shot behind the shoulder, again no exit and I had to shoot it with my Ackley to bring it down. This is my Dad's rifle (Benelli R1) and we were getting ready to head back to Nebraska when we were shooting jugs. Then when we saw that it didn't even pass thru and didn't even go into the ground we started thinking about the last two deer he shot with it. The gun stayed home and he used my MRI .270 Win with Bergers and Powermax's.

Adam.....I went back and read some more of the earlier posts. I make bullets and do a lot of testing so can tell you with assurance that the more velocity you have, the less penetration! This is of course if you are talking about expanding bullets. Even at 300+ yards, you are still around 2900 fps if the mv is 3300' and it doesn't surprise me that much that the bullet may not exit. The 30 yard shot is not at all surprising! A 140 grain bullet traveling at even 500 fps would VERY easily penetrate a milk jug full of water and would likely split the jug as well. This is why the ONLY thing that makes any sense to me is that the bullet was nearly spent when it hit the jug......Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts