Bullet fail...Accubond CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used that bullet in my 270 to take 11 big game animals, 10 pass throughs & sterling performance.
The one bullet I recovered was a large Whitetail that came up a ravine right in front of me. Shot him in the shoulder & lodged in skin on the far Ham. other shots were from 25 yds. to near 300yds.
However, no jugs were shot. It is amazing how a bullet, any bullet will do well for many, but be a disaster for others, from cup & core through TSX, wierd stuff.

That may be a Winchester spec bullet, I can't find where you can buy just bullets that are CT and Accubond but you can buy Ballistic tip CT's. Also the red tip is not a standard color for a 270 cal so that would be Winchester spec also, wonder if they spec'ed a softer lead but bonded or something like that.

That may be a Winchester spec bullet, I can't find where you can buy just bullets that are CT and Accubond but you can buy Ballistic tip CT's. Also the red tip is not a standard color for a 270 cal so that would be Winchester spec also, wonder if they spec'ed a softer lead but bonded or something like that.

Good point & I was not clear, mine were Accubond bullets I loaded for my 270

The Nosler Accubond (Accubond - Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, Reloading Data, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, Load Data) is basically the same as the Winchester Accubond CT (http://www.winchester.com/products/rifle-ammunition/Advanced/AccuBond-CT/Pages/default.aspx) except the CT has lubalox (black oxide) coating.

winchesterABCTandNAB.jpg

I'm jumping in here a little late and admit that I have not read all the posts but there is something wrong here. ANY bullet fired from that rifle should penetrate a milk jug under these conditions! If the trajectory was there, velocity was not the problem and as Phorwath stated, less velocity is even more apt to penetrate further. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but the most likely possibility in my mind is that you hit the ground first and the bullet had just enough steam left to penetrate the jug, and even that would be a little strange.......Rich

I'm jumping in here a little late and admit that I have not read all the posts but there is something wrong here. ANY bullet fired from that rifle should penetrate a milk jug under these conditions! If the trajectory was there, velocity was not the problem and as Phorwath stated, less velocity is even more apt to penetrate further. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but the most likely possibility in my mind is that you hit the ground first and the bullet had just enough steam left to penetrate the jug, and even that would be a little strange.......Rich

That certainly would explain a perfectly mushroomed bullet with little or no damage to the milk jug. And no exit from the jug. The bullet used all it had in the dirt/mud in front of it.........?? Probably the best explanation or presumption so far. Otherwise it's just too darn weird.

I am remembering back a little now, and when my buddy shot the jugs at 300 with his 22-250 (50 or 55 bullets don't remember), even they passed completely through the jugs. I specifically remember now, making fun of him digging in the soft dirt bank behind the jugs trying to find them. Lots of damage to the jugs and complete pass throughs. I made some sort of comment about "just like a little kid, gotta go play in the mud", LOL.

Last edited:
That certainly might certainly explain a perfectly mushroomed bullet with little or no damage to the milk jug. And no exit from the jug. The bullet used all it had in the dirt/mud in front of it.........?? Probably the best explanation or presumption so far. Otherwise it's just too darn weird.

I am remembering back a little now, and when my buddy shot the jugs at 300 with his 22-250 (50 or 55 bullets don't remember), even they passed completely through the jugs. I specifically remember now, making fun of him digging in the soft dirt bank behind the jugs trying to find them. Lots of damage to the jugs and complete pass throughs. I made some sort of comment about "just like a little kid, gotta go play in the mud".

Ya, I thought about it some more and there is no other plausible answer. A bullet mushroomed to that extent obviously struck something with a lot of force. If it had been the jug, it would not have only passed through, but the jug would have been ripped to shreds.......Rich

Ya, I thought about it some more and there is no other plausible answer. A bullet mushroomed to that extent obviously struck something with a lot of force. If it had been the jug, it would not have only passed through, but the jug would have been ripped to shreds.......Rich

IMO, that is the most reasonable answer!

There was never any mention of any fragments in the jug, and the tip, lead, and copper did not disintegrate into thin water!
No fragment and the bullet damage could not have occurred inside the jug...period.

edge.

IMO, that is the most reasonable answer!

There was never any mention of any fragments in the jug, and the tip, lead, and copper did not disintegrate into thin water!
No fragment and the bullet damage could not have occurred inside the jug...period.

edge.

It also explains the other bullet hitting low and being discovered on the top of the dirt. Both hit low, one deflected up, and the other didn't. The expansion looks quite similar on both bullets as well. My advice is, take your rifle out of the safe, load up your accubonds, and go hunting. Good luck!.......Rich

It also explains the other bullet hitting low and being discovered on the top of the dirt. Both hit low, one deflected up, and the other didn't. The expansion looks quite similar on both bullets as well. My advice is, take your rifle out of the safe, load up your accubonds, and go hunting. Good luck!.......Rich

Okay, but still the second bullet was found on top of the dirt right beneath the jug, it didn't even go into the dirt an inch...

And secondly, if the first bullet hit the ground first there would've been a skid mark (there wasn't) and the bullet would most likely have dirt on it and it was completely clean...

Plus, that still doesn't explain the two deer that were shot with them and didn't exit...

I'll get video this week.

Not saying this is what happened, but bouncing a bullet into the target causes me to present this hunting story. I was hunting timber wolves with a friend in the early 80s. We went in different directions across a large frozen lake. At the end of the half-days hunt, we met and he told me about a wolf he had hit but didn't recover. Turns out a wolf cut across this 2 1/2 mile wide lake. It was out there on the ice a very long ways from him. He didn't know how many yards really, since he wasn't used to shooting that far. Was shooting a .300 Win Mag - factory rounds of some sort. When I walked to the edge of the lake and saw how far away the wolf tracks were from the shooting position where the wolf ran into the woods, I knew the distance was on the order of 700-800 yards, and this friend had never shot more than about 400 yards ever. There were no laser range finders back then.

So I back tracked the wolf out onto the lake ice until I could see where the wolf was initially hit, and fell at the shot. From there I walked back in a straight line to where my friend was when he had taken the shot, so as to pace off the distance. About 70 yards from where the bullet hit the wolf, I found a bullet groove mark in the ice. About 100 yards farther, I found another bullet groove mark in the ice. Turns out my friend hit this wolf on the second ricochet off the lake ice. Which was about all that really made any sense after he told me how high he held over the wolf for an aiming point. Unluckiest wolf in the world! The wolf was hurt pretty bad, but we tracked him a long ways the following day and he seemed like he was going to make it. We think the bullet hit back in the rear ham, from the evidence where the wolf had bedded down on snow up in the woods.

Not saying this is what happened, but bouncing a bullet into the target causes me to present this hunting story. I was hunting timber wolves with a friend in the early 80s. We went in different directions across a large frozen lake. At the end of the half-days hunt, we met and he told me about a wolf he had hit but didn't recover. Turns out a wolf cut across this 2 1/2 mile wide lake. It was out there on the ice a very long ways from him. He didn't know how many yards really, since he wasn't used to shooting that far. Was shooting a .300 Win Mag - factory rounds of some sort. When I walked to the edge of the lake and saw how far away the wolf tracks were from the shooting position where the wolf ran into the woods, I knew the distance was on the order of 700-800 yards, and this friend had never shot more than about 400 yards ever. There were no laser range finders back then.

So I back tracked the wolf out onto the lake ice until I could see where the wolf was initially hit, and fell at the shot. From there I walked back in a straight line to where my friend was when he had taken the shot, so as to pace off the distance. About 70 yards from where the bullet hit the wolf, I found a bullet groove mark in the ice. About 100 yards farther, I found another bullet groove mark in the ice. Turns out my friend hit this wolf on the second ricochet off the lake ice. Which was about all that really made any sense after he told me how high he held over the wolf for an aiming point. Unluckiest wolf in the world! The wolf was hurt pretty bad, but we tracked him a long ways the following day and he seemed like he was going to make it. We think the bullet hit back in the rear ham, from the evidence where the wolf had bedded down on snow up in the woods.

Try duplicating that shot!

Ok - here's one:

A few friends and I went so S. Carolina for a deer hunt. All hunting was from elevated stands. After the morning hunt the guides were making the rounds picking the hunters up. When we get to one of my friends stands the guide asked " how did you do". My buddy told him that he took a shot at a moving deer but missed. He saw the bullet strike a tree near the base. We walked over to where he indicted that he shot and, sure enough, you could easily see a new gouge in the side of the tree. While we were standing there talking, I noticed what looked like a dead buck about 75 yds away. We walked over to it and found a still warm 8 point buck lying dead. The only injury we could find was a bleeding wound on its lower leg. Apparently the lead bullet splattered off the tree and cut through the deers leg. With no pressure on the buck he just laid up and bleed out.

If I wasn't there I'd never believe this story. A proverbially bank-shot killed buck. How's that for luck?

Ok - here's one:

If I wasn't there I'd never believe this story. A proverbially bank-shot killed buck. How's that for luck?
Another story. After Rick Furniss, who ever he is, left to look for the dall ram, I heard foot steps with rocks falling. Sure enough, the ram was treading up towards me. The dall was obscured most of the time because of the terrain, but when he was about 70 yards away, he presented a shot side way with his bottom line just above a rock. I got on my butt, with the rifle resting on my knees, aimed and fired. To my horror, dust of rocks flew and I knew I had shot low. The dall turned and was out of sight. I just sat there, sick with the poor shot I made. After about 10 minutes, I heard a shot and thought Rick had shot my ram. So I got up and walked around. Then Rick met me and congratulated me for the ram. I refused, and even accused him of shooting the dall and presented it to me. Rick started swearing that he did not shoot the ram and his shot was to signal me to meet him. I was hidden, sitting down sulking from my miss. I still didn't believe him but walked down to see the dall. Near the dall, I saw trail of blood and bits of intestine. The dall had its stomach opened and was gutted. I found pellets of rock embedded in his skin around the wound. I suspect that the pellets cut up his belly, and as he slumped down hill, sharp shales opened the wound(s) and the entrails fell out. One consolation. Back at camp, Rick confirmed that his wife accidentally dropped the rifle after harvesting her dall, and forgot to tell Rick. After seeing how well the light 7x57 Ruger did to her ram, Rick let me use this rifle. A sight check confirmed that the rifle was shooting low.

Status
Not open for further replies.