Bullet drop/scientific calculator

G

Has anyone tried to use a good calculator for storing the formulas to get the correct MOA at a given distance. It seems like pretty basic math just with a lot of steps and a couple of variables.The most importand variable being distance. I think with the formula stored the rest should be easy. But I really don't know that much about calculators.
I do know they will do graphs and statistics.
Thanks,
frankg

I was thinking of doing exactly that with my scientific calculator. I found several places online that tell me how to program it but i don't have all the formulas for the program. I was thinking of doing it rather specific ie. pre-program velocity and bullet weight so it would be setup for one bullet out of my gun. Then i could just plug in the current conditions and the range i want to shoot and it could spit out the required info.

It would be rather simple and I could carry around my calculator much easier then a laptop.

I think I have it. All we need is a calculator with brackets. I think the formula looks like this....
bullet drop/(distance in yards x 1.047)

I have a TI-89 that will do almost anything but where did you find these programs for velocity, energy, and trajectory? I could download it then I do any cartridge I wanted.

There isn't a program for the ti-series as far as I know. I was going to write one for my ti-86 as soon as I had the complete ballistic formulas (I am still researching what is required). I don't think it would be much of a problem to write a program from scratch that would do everything a guy would want.

no i haven't checked that out yet..... might be simpler then going to the library...
rolleyes.gif

Catshooter,
I have shot with some people who were testing it for horus and to see if it works. their conclusions are IT WORKS. One shooter plotted info from data book and it was the same in the program. The program for PC goes to 3k yds. Demo Version
As far as the Palm pilot goes it is compact and accurate.

I just bought the horusvision softeare for the handspring visor. I'll post results when I test it. I also looked at the horusvision scope - looks great for target but too busy for hunting...

They also have an AMAZING product I bought called the ANDLE COSINE INDICATOR.
It comes is two types - gives you angle or the angle cosine (which is multiplied by the yards to target). I bought the angle indicator. I mounts on the side of your scope with a scope ring and when you aim at your target you read the angle.
I bought the angle version because I wanted to use it with the software. But the cosine would be good if your not putting the gun down and can do the math in your head.

Really really good!

Happy Hunting

John,
I'm getting the Handspring Visor with the program chip loaded with the software for a B-Day present from the sweety this month. I been speaking with Dick over at Horus Vision and he has explained it all in laymens terms to me about these devices and the evolution of the product and such, a very nice and helpfull gentleman to say the least. He will not push the product on the site here but may be willing to awnser questions if asked about the product directly. He has visited the site and I think he has registered and posted now also. The price for the unit ready to go was $245.00 and batteries can be replaced in the field with no worries too.

I was wondering where you bought the cosine indicator at? I think I've seen the one you got but can't remember where at.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.