Bullet dilema for long range deer hunting.

demented

While there are many bullets more than capable of killing a deer past 350 yards, my problem is the terrain where I hunt. Most open areas that allow a longer shot will be surrounded by thickets so bad that unless walking within ten feet of a downed deer, locating one is tough. Most bullets I've used (factory loads) will certainly kill but they will not leave a blood trail to follow since they won't pass through deer at longer ranges. The few bonded bullet loads I've tried will pass through but a 7mm R Mag seems to lack the velocity necessary for them to open up much past 400 yards, exit holes were dime size. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

Out to the distances that you are looking at the Barnes TSX is an excellent choice.

The Doe I took a 777 yards with a 180 TSX out of my 300 Win

fa7vxj.jpg

demented,
JWP475 advice is spot on with the TSX. I have only shot them to 200yds at deer, but they are awesome penetrators, and in my experience, mushroom great at all velocities. I used to push the 100gn TSX in my .25-06 Sendero to 3200fps (+) and I recovered one the whole time I used them.
The bullet that I recovered was from a whitetail that I shot as he was making a hasty retreat back to the woods. When his rear-end filled the Leupold, I touched off a round which resulted in an abrupt halt on his part.
I recovered the TSX under the hide in his chest/shoulder area. The bullet weighed 99.805gn and was a picture perfect muchroom, just like Barnes advertises. I've done that same shot with 150gn Ballistic Tips in the 7mmRM at less distance that didn't even begin to penetrate like that!
I'm not sure how them perform at longer ranges (400yds +), but I would not be afraid to use them on anything in North America at distances less than this. I would imagine the Tipped version is just as awesome. The GMX from Hornady may provide the same performance, not sure as I haven't used them. JohnnyK.

Just find a well built bullet like the TSX, Partition, Berger, etc and shoot the animal through the shoulders. No tracking needed.

I use the 150 Ballistic Tip in my 7mag. So far so good. I've never had one walk away from it yet. Longest shot is just over 500yds and both deer dropped in their tracks. Killed 50 or 60 deer with the BT. I'm an southeast hunter and anything 200yds or closer is shot in the neck or head. Under no circumstances would you shoot one in the chest or cleaning will make you gag. Every organ will explode!!

Since I got my 7mm AM from Kirby in '06, its taken 19 deer to date from 307 to 1350 yards, all were shot with a 160 gr accubond. to date I've had 1 badly hit deer that made maybe 4-5 steps and layed down, any that made more than 30 yards were on the blood spewing death sprint and were absolutely no trouble to locate. Those that you absolutely hammer in cover and flatten out at the report are the hardest to find.
RR

Perhaps my aiming point is all wrong...? The last couple years I've shot for the middle of the deer just BEHIND the shoulder, this due to a confidence issue caused by a .308 I had with a bad barrel, wanted to be certain of the hit. It would shoot about 2.5 inches no matter what I fed into it, now with a new barrel, 150 gr Cor-Lokt bullet, Black Hills brass, 47grns of IMR 4064, it'll do 5/8 inch all day.

While there are many bullets more than capable of killing a deer past 350 yards, my problem is the terrain where I hunt. Most open areas that allow a longer shot will be surrounded by thickets so bad that unless walking within ten feet of a downed deer, locating one is tough. Most bullets I've used (factory loads) will certainly kill but they will not leave a blood trail to follow since they won't pass through deer at longer ranges. The few bonded bullet loads I've tried will pass through but a 7mm R Mag seems to lack the velocity necessary for them to open up much past 400 yards, exit holes were dime size. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

The 150 E-Tip has a BC of .498 vs the 150 TTSX with a BC of .450 The TSX is even less. The E-Tip is also made from a guilded metal which is tougher than the copper TSX/TTSX. The Hornady GMX only has a 139 gr offering but it has a BC 0f .486 and will ballistically run very close to the 150 E-Tip. It is also a guilded metal. The 160 AB has a BC of .531 and will also be very ballistically close to the 150 E-Tip.

I'll be doing some load development for a 7RM soon and my bullet choices willbe the 150 E-Tip, 139 GMX and 160 AB. I'll pick the best shooter. they should all leave you with good exit holes out to 700 yds or so depending on your elevations and load.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Last edited:

I would give the 154 Grain interbond a try. It has a .525 BC and should easily be above 2200 fps at 500yards. The interbonds make very large mushrooms and hold their weight well at 90%+ retention at reasonable velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.