Bullet Decision for Texas Deer Hunt

PingGong3

i am going on a deer hunt in mid Texas and I only have a few Berger 156eol's left for my 6.5PRC. I was able to load up on some 147eldm and have quite a few of them. Is the 147eldm a quality bullet to use on deer from mid Texas or should I use the 156eol?

On a side note, I am seeing some 153.5berger hybrids online but I'm not sure about their terminal performance? How do they stack up to the 156eol? Thanks

I believe any of the bullets you mentioned will work fine. Probably the one that performs best at the range will be THE ONE.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the issues with the eldm found at close range shots? It expands way to soon and may not penetrate to the vitals?

i am going on a deer hunt in mid Texas and I only have a few Berger 156eol's left for my 6.5PRC. I was able to load up on some 147eldm and have quite a few of them. Is the 147eldm a quality bullet to use on deer from mid Texas or should I use the 156eol?

On a side note, I am seeing some 153.5berger hybrids online but I'm not sure about their terminal performance? How do they stack up to the 156eol? Thanks
Hunting out of a blind?

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the issues with the eldm found at close range shots? It expands way to soon and may not penetrate to the vitals?
I don't see you having any problems finding the vitals with any of the bullets you've mentioned from powder burn close to way out there. Even a bullet that completely fails to expand or explodes on impact destroys the vitals on whitetail.

I have shot bears with them to 289 yrds, Deer at under 100 (89 yrds to be exact) and out to 256 yards...worked fine!

Shot two Tx does with the factory 147s last year both around 80 yds one neck went straight down and one behind shoulder ran about 40 yds golf ball sized exit.

Antelope couple weeks ago with the 156s and like them it a bit better but 147s worked fine.

It's been my experience that a bullet that expands quickly does not stop short of penetrating the vital area unless it first hits a shoulder bone when shot using a lightweight bullet. An example would be a 110 gr bullet out of a .308 used for varmint hunting might not make it through the shoulder because there is not enough velocity to punch through the bone and make it to the vitals. Kind of like shooting into a steel plate. I have shot the ELDM's without any issue in a variety of calibers. Match the weight of the bullet to the intended game and there should be no issues.