Bullet construction

Thanks all. There's still lots more to come. This started out as a project just for my own knowledge and purposes, but has evolved into something greater now. I have had a ton of bullets graciously donated to me for sectioning to add to and create a much bigger and better database. Currently, I've been so swamped with my day job and family life that I haven't been able to dedicate any time to it in over a year. I hope to get back to it within the coming months though and will hopefully get caught up with the stockpile I currently have. I will update folks when that's done.

The intention too is to put all of this data into a book that talks about bullet construction and terminal performance of them, and have an attached database showing all the pictures of profiles and measurements. Think of it as something similar to Applied Ballistics' BC database book, but for construction/composition as it relates to the terminal ballistics side of things. That book has already been started with portions already copyrighted. Finishing it with the database will be the part holding it up the most.

I haven't, as yet, read the entire thread but definitely intend to! I've been using nothing but Nosler Partitions for big game hunting since I starting hunting under the tutelage of my Uncle, since my step dad didn't actually hunt much. That was 50 years ago! My Uncle turned me onto the Partitions and I've never had the slightest reason to change. They've always worked perfectly although I've had to sell a couple of rifles that refused to shoot them well. The only problem with the Partitions is that at closer ranges they work too well. I don't find that to be a problem like some do, big holes kill faster as far as I'm concerned.

At 72 I don't hunt much any more so I'm now experimenting with a new .308 with a 1:14 twist Hart barrel so I can shoot those little mono bullets really, really fast. I like speed and so far this rifle hasn't disappointed! It keeps me off the streets!
Cheers,
crkckr

... so I'm now experimenting with a new .308 with a 1:14 twist Hart barrel so I can shoot those little mono bullets really, really fast. I like speed and so far this rifle hasn't disappointed! It keeps me off the streets!
Cheers,
crkckr
Just be aware that monometal copper alloy bullets typically require a faster twist than lead core of comparable weight. Lead is about 25% more dense than copper and stability depends upon overall bullet construction and shape more than weight. For example, Wilson loads 150 grain lead core bullets for the 300 Ham'r but 125 grains is the biggest mono bullet.
You just might want to check the bullets you plan to use with a twist calculator to be safe.

I'm going to be using very light for caliber (100, 115, etc) for this one so I went with the 1:14. So far it's shooting very well but I probably won't be able to do much until this coming summer due to some upcomming heart surgery. I could be out until June but will likely (hopefully!) have a large number of rounds loaded to test for accuracy & velocity. Both 308 and a few pistol calibers as well.
Cheers,
crkckr

Thanks all. There's still lots more to come. This started out as a project just for my own knowledge and purposes, but has evolved into something greater now. I have had a ton of bullets graciously donated to me for sectioning to add to and create a much bigger and better database. Currently, I've been so swamped with my day job and family life that I haven't been able to dedicate any time to it in over a year. I hope to get back to it within the coming months though and will hopefully get caught up with the stockpile I currently have. I will update folks when that's done.

The intention too is to put all of this data into a book that talks about bullet construction and terminal performance of them, and have an attached database showing all the pictures of profiles and measurements. Think of it as something similar to Applied Ballistics' BC database book, but for construction/composition as it relates to the terminal ballistics side of things. That book has already been started with portions already copyrighted. Finishing it with the database will be the part holding it up the most.
Sign me up for a couple of copies please.

Recent Posts