Bullet coming apart?

Taos

Need a little help here as I have had a rather strange experience at the range this morning.

Shooting my 22-243 middlestead with, with an 8 twist, 75 grain a-max's over 47 Gr. 4831sc. At 100 yds. I can see a group forming of about .75". When I fetch my target there are only 3 holes in the paper. I fired 5 rounds! Repeat the process. There may be 4 holes in this target of 5 fired.

When I hold these targets up to the light I can see several tiny pin holes in the paper.

Velocity of theses bullets is right at 3600 fps. Has anyone had these bullets blow up on them and at what kind of speeds.

had same problem with the 22-284.. was blowing bullets apart at all speeds. the 75amax and 80smks. take couple nights and clean clean clean it some more. hate to say but when it started blowing them apart... i never got my accuracy back.. and found that i needed to clean twice as often. and we both know.. it sure is fun cleaning the .22's. good luck, if you know someone with a bore scope have them check it out for you.

Two things.

1. Sounds like you are spinning the bullets (too high rpm) for their structure (ie jacket thickness). Seen it happen. Try different bullets, like JLKs or bergers.

2. If this is new match barrel, could be too tight across the lands and grooves. If that is the case, send it back and request new one.

BH

on 1/9 22-6mm 75 amax blewup with 50 grn rl25. shrapnel everywhere on target. shortened oal, now i get .5 groups. have not shot many rounds. will try more groups soon.

george
smile.gif

I have scrubbed that bore till I am blue in the face!!! Then start over. I am sure it was vwey clean when I started the last shooting session. I have the bullets seated out as far as possible in that case and stilljust barely touch the lands. I will try and seat a little deeper in the case with a few. Can you explain what effect that would have on the problem? It is something I would not have thought of.

I had the same problem 22-250ackley 1-8 twist with the a-,axes and nosler j4's. There is nothing wrong with your gun the bullets just aren't tough enough to take the speed and twist. The a maxes have thin jackes and don't work well at over 3200 FPS . The 80 grain seirras with take the abuse, Try them and your problem will go away. also swift came out with a 75gr interbonded scricco in .224, it will be the toughest and best killing bullet made for 22 cals. Thanks Reed

Thanks for all the advice guys!! Reed I went to the 80 grain Sierra's and the problem reduced itself to half inch groups or so on the first try. Again thanks alot!!

I shoot the 75gr A-Max from my 22-243AI @ 3,700 ft/sec and have never dusted a single bullet. I believe 3 things contribute to the bullet jacket staying together:

1. Very smooth match barrel
2. Moly coated bullets (NECO method)
3. Loading the bullets .007" INTO the rifling. This prevents the bullets from slamimng into the rifling, while the moly allows the bullets to ease there way through the engraving stage with minimal stress and distortion.

Just my thoughts - VH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.