Bullet coatings..Danzac, etc.

Help me get this straight. The blue stuff is Danzac or not.

I want to add nothing to the barrel but do want coated bullets. Do not want to use Moly this time. What else is there?
Who can coat my bullets with the blue stuff?

I have seen a blue coating but cannot remember on what (Barnes maybe?).

I want a coating on the bullet that leaves minimal residue on the barrel. What are my choices?

Thanx

I was told today, Danzac is a little more silver than moly, not much though. Never tried the stuff either so I don't know. Barnes is blue, whatever the hell they put in their stuff is a mystery, most likely moly. This guy said the Danzac was tungsten dissulfide, not moly dissulfide. For what it's worth, he's tried both and he said he can't get nothing to do worth a **** with either except the .223 and 70gr pills that definately do "better" with Danzac. I remembered you had asked about this when I was talking to him today, he said it ain't blue.
smile.gif

S1 do you coat your bullets or do you use moly? If you coat them what do you use and how is it on the barrel? Does it take special cleaning or do you just shoot.

The reason I ask is because I've heard that some people don't clean their barrels after some serious shooting?

Would like the opions of anyone else that has used moly or something else!

Texas...I coat my own bullets with Danzac, it helps the throat last longer, and does not shingle at the molecular level like moly.

For someone trying to make one shot kills, moly is the curse from hell. If your barrel is clean, it may take from 4 to 14 shots to get your barrel to settle down, and it never seems to be repeatable as to the number before it does settle down.

Now before someone jumps in and says their gun shoots great with the first shot and moly bullets, more power to ya! We have tested this in a very controlled way in a 100 yd. tunnel with guns accurate enough to shoot back to back 5 shot groups in the .080" range. Danzac coated bullets always settled to the zero on the 2cnd shot.

I use the same cleaning procedure for coated and uncoated bullets.

1) 2 wet patches of powder solvent

2) 20 strokes with a bronze brush wet with powder solvent.

3) Alternate wet dry patches until powder residue is gone.

4) 2 Dry patches.

5) Sweet's copper solvent on a patch

Decision time: Lots of copper fouling, then go to JB bore paste.
Little copper, one more patch of Sweet's

6) Dry the bore, and two wet patches of Synthetic oil

7) Degrease the chamber carefully with gun scrubber or quick scrub III. (CAUTION: NEVER LEAVE OIL OR SOLVENT IN THE CHAMBER AREA, THE CHAMBER MUST BE CLEAN AND DRY BEFORE YOU SHOOT.)

8) clean bolt and hit lugs and cam area with grease.

[ 05-21-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

I'm told, the brand name tungsten disulfide "Danzac" is no longer being made. I do have a contact for other TD coatings, not sure who makes the other coatings but I could find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.