Bullet choices for 300 RUM

I have a 300rum, tested various barnes tsx (165, 168, 180), Nosler partitions, Berger 190 and 210, Sierra 210gr matchking. I have a bunch laying around shot into dry newspaper at various ranges (0-500 yards). I will try and get a picture of the bullets.

The sierra had serious core separation within 300 yards, the TSX sheared off all it's petals within 100 yards (not necessarily a bad thing), the partitions acted just like partitions. The 200gr accubonds stayed together, although they lost 20-40% of their mass. I use them as they group the best in my rifle. I push them 3245 out of a 27" barrel.

I think now it's 3 black bear, 1 elk, 4 whitetail and 1 mule deer, not an exhaustive list to be sure. The bear at 50 yards had massive damage to both shoulders on a broadside hit, and an exit wound, so the bullet held together enough to exit. I shot a deer at under 30 yards this year, punched a huge hole thru it's neck...almost took the head clean off, only skin on the top and bottom left. The bullet hit a vertebrae and sprayed fragments out the back side of the neck.

LongBomber, good post on your testing. How did the Berger 210's fair? Can you give me an idea of what your load is for the 200 AB's? Brass, primer, powder? Thanks.

I have a 300rum, tested various barnes tsx (165, 168, 180), Nosler partitions, Berger 190 and 210, Sierra 210gr matchking. I have a bunch laying around shot into dry newspaper at various ranges (0-500 yards). I will try and get a picture of the bullets.

The sierra had serious core separation within 300 yards, the TSX sheared off all it's petals within 100 yards (not necessarily a bad thing), the partitions acted just like partitions. The 200gr accubonds stayed together, although they lost 20-40% of their mass. I use them as they group the best in my rifle. I push them 3245 out of a 27" barrel.

I think now it's 3 black bear, 1 elk, 4 whitetail and 1 mule deer, not an exhaustive list to be sure. The bear at 50 yards had massive damage to both shoulders on a broadside hit, and an exit wound, so the bullet held together enough to exit. I shot a deer at under 30 yards this year, punched a huge hole thru it's neck...almost took the head clean off, only skin on the top and bottom left. The bullet hit a vertebrae and sprayed fragments out the back side of the neck.

This used to be a Long Range Hunting site and at Long Range the SMK's excell. 500 yards is not long range. Let'stalk about bullet performance at 800 yards and beyound at these ranges the big SMK's and Bergers excell

Still havent heard any good or bad about swift scirroco bullets for 300RUM. Anyone tested?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.